RE: [ontac-forum] Re: Semantic Layers (Was Interpretation of RDFreificat

To: "'ONTAC-WG General Discussion'" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Harry Halpin'" <hhalpin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: semantic-web@xxxxxx, psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'Peter F. Patel-Schneider'" <pfps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Frank Manola' <fmanola@xxxxxxx>, 'Adrian Walker' <adrianw@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:38:32 -0500
John,
I'm sorry, but this is not valid and not helpful in trying to get industry
convergence.    (01)

As for "process" and design competition, it happened.  While there may be
issues with the W3C process, there was and is amply opportunity to submit
alternatives.  Certainly someone with your standing could have presented an
alternative when RDF & OWL were in draft status.  You choose not to (as far
as I know), perhaps to focus on the CL standards in ISO.  It is interesting
that W3C has so much better marketing/adoption than ISO, but it does.  The
RDF & OWL processes became stabilized in the 2002-2004 timeframe.    (02)

As for "intent", saying that the people who put effort into this had no
design intent is disingenuous.  I have spoken with some of them, as I am
sure you have. They had rational for the approach with some substantial
thoughts about what would make it ubiquitous.  You may disagree with the
intent or the approach, that is another matter.    (03)

Perhaps we can make progress on to how the industry can move forward.
SemWeb is bringing the world at large to this table.  A substantial question
has to be addressed - are we going to evolve the SemWeb "stack" or attempt a
competitive replacement?  If a competitive replacement, what is the
community that is going to champion such a replacement?    (04)

My HOPE is that we can evolve the SemWeb stack - for example, that we could
add n-ary relations to RDF and that we could support additional logical
systems, such as CL.  Unlike some I don't see RDF as a "language" like you
suggest, that anyone would use - it is infrastructure.  The ability to have
a web based infrastructure is very compelling.  The idea that such an
infrastructure could support multiple logical formalisms is probably
necessary.  The fact it isn't a "language" in the human/syntactic sense, is
acceptable.    (05)

Don't get me wrong - my initial reaction to RDF & OWL was not positive, for
many of the reasons you suggest - it could and should be MUCH MUCH better.
But, I don't find it useless, there are useful things you can do with it -
the question is how to manage the evolution or revolution.    (06)

If a real competitor to the SemWeb stack is being proposed, a community
making that proposition should be formed and active - I don't see it.
Instead I see random attacks on SemWeb with some very interesting ideas, but
without the foundation to compete.  The foundation is not just thought or
even an implementation, but all the factors that influence an industry
adoption.    (07)

For a particular community, that community has to figure out what its
baseline is - this community needs to make that decision.      (08)

-Cory Casanave    (09)