Re: [ontac-forum] Re: The world may fundamentally be inexplicable

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'SUO WG' <standard-upper-ontology@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, CG <cg@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Gruninger <gruninger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:37:49 -0500
John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

> But there are certain things that are pretty safe bets:
>
>  1. There will be categories called Time, Space, Object,
>     Process, etc.
>
>  2. There will be some assumptions common to all the
>     axiomatizations:  time will have a before and
>     after, and space will have 3 dimensions.
>
>  3. But beyond that, all bets are off.  It would be
>     a mistake to adopt situation calculus instead of
>     pi calculus for reasoning about time;     (02)

It would be a mistake to make claims without backing them up with actual
axioms.    (03)

PSL (which contains an axiomatization of situation calculus as one of
its theories)
is a first-order axiomatization that has been proven sound and complete
with respect
to a set of intended models. This axiomatization has been used in numerous
semantic integration platforms as well as theorem proving
implementations for
reasoning about activities.    (04)

I have not seen a comparable first-order axiomatization of the pi-calculus.    (05)

It is also misleading to say that situation calculus is used to reason
about time.
A time ontology is used to reason about time; the situation calculus is
used to
reason about activities, their preconditions and effects.    (06)

> it would be
>     a mistake to insist on either 3D or 4D treatments
>     of space-time;    (07)

Again, where are the axioms that distinguish the 3D vs 4D approaches?    (08)

> That's why the only thing you can insist on is a very
> sparse, very limited set of common axioms.  At that
> level, you can't do much problem-oriented reasoning.

Show me the axioms!!    (09)

- michael    (010)