ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] RE: [ontac-forum] RE: Shall we start? - sub (10)

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ken Ewell <mitioke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:33:14 -0500

Cassidy, Patrick J. wrote:    (01)

[ .... ]    (02)

>[KE] Would those same ontologist choose to interact using a different
>language?
>The one that affirms would make for a very interesting, and most
>likely,
>enlightening case.
>
>[PC] Actually, yes, if there were any benefit to do so.  We have ample
>precedent of people taking great trouble to learn a natural language
>which is not their native tongue in order to communicate with others.

This was an error of interpretation.  I would expect that kind of thing
would not become an issue if there were a common semantic model that
could check for clarity and provide information when a message can be
interpreted differently by different perspectives.    (03)

I was thinking specifically about an ontologist and a personal
preference to speak or use a language different from their mother tongue
specifically to formulate theory or support for their axioms or ideas.     (04)

Students attending a conference must present their work in the language
of the conference-- i.e., they have to obey the ground rules to
participate.  People choosing another the language under the force of
practicality-- is a choice, but not the same kind of choice I had in
mind.  Your analogy with how programming languages are chosen is apt and
speaks directly to the "specialization-to-usage" nature (hub-type) of
the great complex ontologies (CyC, SUMO, DOLCE, etc.).    (05)

Nonetheless, I tend to agree with the scenario you painted-- I guess
this is more or less the vision statement Hans was after.    (06)

I had rather hoped some seriously productive efforts would get started
and some systems would be engineered.  At some point I thought we were
moving to use-cases to test out the theories and logical methods that
have been discussed.    (07)

It is depressing that there is no funding for efforts of unifying
logical systems of reasoning about all the real stuff going on that we
have information about that still cannot be figured out.     (08)

-Ken Ewell    (09)