etkn-forum

Re: [etkn-forum] FW: 1st Draft and Original Invitation

To: "'Eastern Transportation Knowledge Network'" <etkn-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Carol Paszamant" <Carol.Paszamant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:02:11 -0400
If you can stand a DRAFT ETKN E-Mail Invitation (3), I would recommend the
following changes:      (01)

- substitute "departments of transportation (DOTs)" for "DOTs" in second
paragraph.
- maybe list the criteria for levels of membership.  I included below slightly
shortened versions of the ones listed in our bylaws (it's unclear what the
difference is between an affiliate and a friend), and these differ from the
list of minimum requirements which appears at the bottom of the Membership page:    (02)

"Minimum Requirements for Membership: Organizations applying for membership in
the ETKN should:     (03)

"Be involved in transportation research and/or practice.
"Have library or information services, or a related department with an
accessible collection of transportation information resources available to ETKN
members.
"Have cataloged or systematically organized collections.
"Be willing and able to provide access to local collections and services.
"Designate a representative responsible for communicating with other ETKN
members."    (04)

I also took out the last sentence about the Transportation Librarians Toolkit
pending further determination of availability, and substituted a basic offer of
more info and invitation to contact us.    (05)

Carol    (06)

>>> "Matis, Lynn" <LMatis@xxxxxxxx> 7/29/2010 1:31 PM >>>
I just found the edited version of Carol's  *(in her words, it's a less
Hallmark version): (Also note that, previously, we were going to send  our
replies with a  Transportation Librarian Toolkit which we would have to check
if that option is still available, ie. Whether we could get extra copies.)    (07)

DRAFT ETKN E-Mail Invitation (2)    (08)

Dear Transportation Practitioner:    (09)

We would like to extend an invitation for you to join the Eastern
Transportation Knowledge Network (ETKN).    (010)

ETKN is a group of transportation libraries and information service providers
located at state departments of transportation (DOTs), universities, and
associations in the eastern U.S.  Interested in the coordination of
transportation research, we have recently formed to improve our libraries'
services.    (011)

ETKN was created to support our transportation information infrastructure.  It
is especially important now that we preserve and access this crucial
transportation-related information as the nation currently invests in our
bridges, highways, transit, and railroads and airports.    (012)

We hold bi-monthly meetings by telephone, thereby avoiding the need for
frequent out-of state meetings.  We have found success in gathering information
and coordinating with fellow members and the National Transportation Library.
By collaborating as members as a network, we have increased our access to
specialized information and increased the value and quality of our services.    (013)

Our newly created website at http://etkn.org outlines the membership criteria
for any level of membership:    (014)

Full Member - Any entity with an organized collection of transportation related
documents and a staff to access and share said collection, and located within
AASHTO Regions 1 and 2.  Full members shall have full voting status.    (015)

Affiliate Member - Any entity with a substantial stake in the transportation
community, with or without an organized collection, located within AASHTO
Regions 1 and 2.  Affiliate members may contribute to discussions but will not
be able to vote.    (016)

Friends - Anyone interested in observing the developments and initiatives of
the ETKN in order to further the development of their transportation-related
organization located within AASHTO Regions 1 and 2. While friends do not have
voting rights, they are encouraged to participate in discussions, attend
meetings, and communicate and collaborate with all other members of the network.    (017)

Essentially, all you need to join is a transportation collection and a
willingness to participate.    (018)

If you are considering joining or just want more information, please feel free
to contact me or any of the other officers listed on the site.    (019)

Sincerely....    (020)

This email/electronic message, including any attached files, is being sent by
the MBTA. It is solely intended for the recipient(s) and may contain
information that is proprietary, confidential, legally privileged, and/or
exempt from disclosure pursuant to state and federal law. If you have received
this message in error or are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the
sender immediately by reply, and delete all copies of this email/electronic
message and any attached files from your computer. If you are the intended
recipient(s), you may use the information contained in this email/electronic
message and any attached files only as authorized by the MBTA. Any unauthorized
use, dissemination, or disclosure of this email/electronic message and/or its
attached files is strictly prohibited.
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.    (021)