cuo-wg
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [cuo-wg] Resolving Jim Hendler's Comments

To: "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:55:26 -0500
Message-id: <002101c74ee8$1ffa1210$6402a8c0@KAPOORSFAMILY>
I have tried to respond to Jim's request-but had to deviate a little so I hope you will forgive me. my response are in the main body of the email response from Jim S in BOLD ITALIC

The current thrust of the paper seems to be softening to allow for technology evolution, Let's acknowledge that explicitly and we will be ready to move forward. I do not want to belabor the point of what is an "enterprise wide maturity" Every software has a limit and a failure point as it has never been 100% investigated-that  is highly improbable. Lets it be stated that current Semantic technologies are mostly based on W3C recommendations and few good extensions are evolving but are ready for limited scope deployment. The scope must be bounded and well defined. Or we can continue to do a application by application schema mapping and create a unmanageable situation and then say that we need to look at some new technologies!

Until we gain experience albeit by limited scope application we will continue to have this philosophical debate.

respectfully,
ajit 
----- Original Message -----
From: "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 1:03 PM
Subject: [cuo-wg] Resolving Jim Hendler's Comments

> CDSI WG,
>
> 1. Lots of good discussion, but let's refocus on resolving Jim Hendler's comments and updating the paper. 
>
> 2. I would summarize Jim Hendler's comments as saying the paper doesn't give credit for the progress being made by the Semantic Web approach to semantic interoperability.  The attached paper is updated to give more credit.  I believe he admits this approach ("URI-based reference mechanism coupled with the standard for KR")is not yet ready for enterprise-wide implementation.  The paper is updated to list this approach as a 'Candidate Technical Solution.'  It rates the Semantic Web approach at Level-4.  Thoughts anyone?
>
> 3. I changed the readiness scale in the paper to the better-know Technology Readiness Scale. See
>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_Readiness_Level.  Once again, this is far from a perfect model, but it is good enough to help explain how certain technologies are far from ready for implementation.
>
> 4. Below are excerpted and grouped comments, plus my shot at a response.  To respond, please cut only Jim Hendler's comments and add your response, preceeded by your last name.  Leave out Jim Hendler's comments you are not responding to. 
>
> 5. At the bottom of this thread is the full text of the four messages sent by Jim Hendler, which may help put some of his comments in context.
>
> 6.  Jim Hendler comments and Jim Schoening responses:
>
> a. Hendler Comment: 1) You make the mistake, which is common and being pushed by a number of strong players, of assuming that only with some kind of common semantic model can data be integrated... 2) it buys way too heavily into the assumption that no integration can take place without complete (and consistent) semantic agreement - 3).we couldn't ever succeed with any kind of "everyone must agree" (standard upper >ontology) ... Ajit Kapoor's response: Add a summary of your Schoening comment in the beginning of the paper.
>
> Schoening Response: The paper makes no such claim, but does list 'common upper ontology' as one candidate technical solution. The paper first makes the point that current technology can't achieve interoperability across large numbers of domains, then suggests further R&D is needed, then lists 'candidate' technologies, but without claiming which is best, or even feasible. The paper has now beed changed to list Semantic Web Approach as a candidate technical solution.
>
> b. Hendler Comment: ...buys way too heavily into the assumption that no integration can take place without complete (and consistent) semantic agreement.  ...that doesn't appear to be true in practice Ajit's Comment: Once you add a statement that says explicitly that its not the intent of this paper to find a holy grail then this issue goes away. 
>
> Schoening Response: The paper does not make such a claim.  The paper says semantic interoprability can be achieved in some cases, but not across large enterprises with many domain.  If there is practice to demonstrate enterprise-wide data interoperability, comments should cite such practice.   
>
> c. Hendler Comment: Ajit's Comment: Past success and failures are not a de-facto justification for future technologies 
>
> Schoening Response: Such arguments were obviously wrong regarding the web, but that is not a technical justification to dismiss them this time.
>
> d. Hendler Comment:Ajit's comments:The whole idea is to avoid local one of a kind mapping - we must make it clear that human judgement will not be machine automated
>
> Schoening Response: Yes, one could do this for a narrow set of concepts, but not for all the concepts in all the domains within a large enterprises.
>
> e. Hendler Comment:  when I ask Google to find things, I don't care if it finds all and only the right thing -I want it to take me closer to a correct starting point for exploration, and I don't demand (or in fact want) 100% precision or recall. Ajit's Comment: Yes Google gives back lot of hits based on very limited contectual capabilities, and they are trying to enhance the algorithm to reduce the returned set, but that does not mean we stop using current search technology until it reaches some definition of maturity. A good analogy would be human endevors they are constantly evolving and are still being used concurrently.
>
> Schoening Response: True, but Semantic Interoperability requires computers to understand search engine returns, which they can't, yet.
>
> f. Hendler Comment: If you made this same argument by analogy for hypertext systems (lack of standards, disagreement in worlds views, different technologies) then you could clearly demonstrate that a world wide web of billions of documents linked to each other to be used in multiple contexts would be impossible (how would you find anything??) -
>
> Schoening Response: This analogy doesn't prove anything. The success of the Web is not a technical argument for the success of the Semantic Web. It is probably good justification for research funding, but is not a basis for claiming the technology can work, let alone is already working. 
>
> g. Hendler Comment:...that [argument that] has been used by many critics from the traditional ontology space (where that assumption is made) to argue you can't do data integration at a large scale with the approaches we're exploring.
>
> Schoening Response: By saying "...we're exploreing," this comment admits the Semantic Web approach is not mature yet, which is the main point of the paper.  The paper now lists this approach as a candidate technical solution.
>
> h. Hendler Comment: I've said this many times in many contexts - Tim Berners-Lee (who never listened to those skeptics who explained why the Web wouldn't work) and Eric Miller and I addressed this issue in some degree in the paper at [1] ad of course I've written and talked a lot about this. So before you all throw out the baby with the bathtub, I thought I would mention that there are contradicting views
>
> Schoening Response: Not a technical comment.  No response needed.
>
> i. Hendler Comment: you really missed a lot of the point of the Sem Web technologies and how they were designed precisely to provide the capabilities you say they don't.
>
> Schoening Response: I agree this is the intent of the Semantic Web, but this vision has yet to be achieved, so it is not ready for enterprise-wide implemention, which is the main point of the paper. Ajit's Comment: I do nont understand why you are so rigid on defining it to be enterprise ready-it is ready in a limited scale should suffice.
>
> j. Hendler Comment: I certainly don't think they are the be-all and end-all, but they move us much further than you give them credit for -
>
> Schoening Response:  Agreed. Paper now gives more credit to progess of Semantic Web approach.
>
> k. Hendler Comment: you completely miss the key aspect of these languages as opposed to previous AI languages, which is the URI basis - they are "webized" in a deep and important way - the linking of concepts (where ontologies can link to concepts in others) provides a mechanism you've largely missed.
>
> Schoening Response: Agreed. Paper has been updated to address this, but this does not impact the main point of the paper.
>
> l. Hendler Comment:...they still haven't gotten it... The good news is the large players are beginning to get it (not only Oracle and IBM in DB systems, but MS and others are starting to use RDF DBs because they need the flexibility and the linking)
>
> Schoening Response:  This paper does not claim there is no progress toward the goal, just that technology has not yet achieved it.
>
> m. Hendler Comment:  the key is, like the web, learning to live with inconsistency and ambiguity, rather than claiming you can't do integration in its presence.
>
> Schoening Response: This paper does not claim we can't 'ever' achieve the goal, but rather we can't do it today with currently mature technology. Unless someone can show examples of Level 8 or 9 technological success, the primary assertion of the paper remains standing.
>
> n. Hendler Comment: There's obviously no way to prove that ?X can be done with current technology, what I'm arguing against is your equally unprovable contention that it can't.
>
> Schoening Response:  The first statement admits technology has not yet demonstrated it can achieve wide-scale semantic interoperability. When large enterprises decided to emplement the Web, it had fully taken off and there was lots of evidence it was working and scaling up. We don't have anything close to that yet with the Semantic Web. Yes, there is movement in that direction, but not enough for large enterprises to successfully implement as a solution for data interoperability. The second statement misquotes the paper. The paper doesn't claim it can't, just that it isn't ready for broad implementation.
>
> o. Hendler Comment: What I do believe is your arguments ignore significant aspects of current technology (esp. the Semantic Web work) that take it much further towards what you are claiming it cannot achieve than you seem to think.
>
> Schoening Response: Agreed.  Paper now gives credit. But this does not refute the paper's claim that the technology is not ready for broad implemenation, or in terms of the paper, the technology is not at Level 8 or 9.
>
> p. Hendler Comment: I buy your argument if you are saying current technology defined as DL reasoners manipulating OWL assertions, but that's not what the Semantic Web is all about, the URI-based reference mechanism coupled with the standard for KR and other aspects is aimed exactly at scalability.
>
> Schoening Response:  The problem is actually worse than Jim Hendler's example (DL, OWL, etc). DoD believes it can achieve enterpirse-wide data interoperability with XML and metadata. Jim Hendler, in this comment, basically agrees enterprise-wide semantic interoperability cannot be achieved with DL reasoners manipulating OWL assertions. The second statement claims the Semantic Web approach is 'aimed' at scalability, which basically admits they haven't matured this approach yet. The latest version of the paper lists this approach as a candidate solution and advocates further work in maturing all candidates.
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> Below is full text of Jim Hendler's 4 messages:  (Note:  A few non-relevant parts are snipped out.)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>    At 5:35 PM -0500 1/29/07, Jim Hendler wrote [to Jim Schoening]:
>
>>James - Interesting paper, fwiw, I couldn't disagree more.   You
>>make the mistake, which is common and being pushed by a number of
>>strong players <<snip>>, of assuming that only with some kind of common
>>semantic model can data be integrated - problem is the same argument
>>you use as to why this is so (the scaling arguments) were very similar
>>to the arguments made on why the WWW wouldn't work a decade or so ago.
>>Think of it this way - if I coudl create a set of local mappings across
>>a wide array of linked (but not all linked) data sources then I could
>>indeed do cross domain integration - not with full fidelity - but
>>that's where your mistake lies - when I ask Google to find things, I
>>don't care if it finds all and only the right thing - I want it to take
>>me closer to a correct starting point for exploration, and I don't
>>demand (or in fact want) 100%
>>precision or recall.   I don't have time for details,
>>  <<snip>>
>>  -JH
>
> -------------------
>
> At 10:33 AM -0500 1/30/07, Jim Hendler wrote [to SICoP]:
>
>
>>I guess I should mention here something I told the author separately -
>>I don't agree with many of the conclusions of this paper, and think
>>there are some flaws - I don't have time for a detailed response - but
>>let me point out that if you made this same argument by analogy for
>>hypertext systems (lack of standards, disagreement in worlds views,
>>different technologies) then you could clearly demonstrate that a world
>>wide web of billions of documents linked to each other to be used in
>>multiple contexts would be impossible (how would you find anything??) -
>>the analogy isn't perfect, and there are some valid points made in the
>>paper - but it buys way too heavily into the assumption that no
>>integration can take place without complete (and consistent) semantic
>>agreement - and that's the part I cannot agree with, that doesn't
>>appear to be true in practice, and that has been being used by many
>>critics from the traditional ontology space (where that assumption is
>>made) to argue that you can't do data integration at a large scale with
>>the approaches we're exploring.   I've said this many
>>times in many contexts - Tim Berners-Lee (who never listened to those
>>skeptics who explained why the Web wouldn't work) and Eric Miller and I
>>addressed this issue in some degree in the paper at [1] ad of course
>>I've written and talked a lot about this. So before you all throw out
>>the baby with the bathtub, I thought I would mention that there are
>>contradicting views
>>   -Jim H
>>p.s. Actually, probably the best argument I made as to why we couldn't
>>ever succeed with any kind of "everyone must agree" (standard upper
>>ontology) approach was in the original brief to the Director where I
>>convinced DARPA to invest in the DAML program  - so this isn't
>>something new, and those who've heard me at the Semantic Web in E-gov
>>conferences have heard this argument.
>>
>>[1]
http://www.w3.org/2002/07/swint
>
> ------------------------
>
>
>
> At 1:12 PM -0500 1/30/07, Jim Hendler wrote [to Jim Schoening]:
>
> basically same thing basic argument as I put on the list, but a little stronger in my comments on upper ontology...  Sorry to weigh in so strong, but I think you really missed a lot of the point of the Sem Web technologies and how they were designed precisely to provide the capabilities you say they don't.  I certainly don't think they are the be-all and end-all, but they move us much further than you give them credit for - part of the problem is you completely miss the key aspect of these languages as opposed to previous AI languages, which is the URI basis - they are "webized" in a deep and important way - the linking of concepts (where ontologies can link to concepts in others) provides a
> mechanism you've largely missed.   I realize I
> had the opportunity to weigh in to some of this stuff in SICOP, but I've had the debate with Leo and others ongoing for the past 6 years and they still haven't gotten it and I get tired of having the same arguments over and over.  The good news is the large players are beginning to get it (not only Oracle and IBM in DB systems, but MS and others are starting to use RDF DBs because they need the flexibility and the linking) so I've given up on arguing in closed circles - I still write articles and give plenty of talks
>  the key is, like the web, learning to live with inconsistency and ambiguity, rather than claiming you can't do integration in its presence.
> <<snip>>
>
>  -JH
> -------------------------------
>
> At 12:08 AM 1/31/07, Jim Hendler wrote [to SICoP]:
>
> The goal of that paper is to claim (and later papers have more details) that the current technology is exactly aimed at achieving interoperability at the semantic level at a Web Scale, which certainly subsumes large enterprises
> with many domains.   I've published several
> papers on this ranging from vision papers like the Scientific American article and the agents on the semantic web (google scholar for Semantic Web finds these) and more technical ones - our technical papers are at
http://www.mindswap.org/papers.
>
> There's obviously no way to prove that ?X can be done with current technology, what I'm arguing against is your equally unprovable contention that it can't.  What I do believe is your arguments ignore significant aspects of current technology (esp. the Semantic Web work) that take it much further towards what you are claiming it cannot achieve than you seem to think.  I don't have time to recap all the arguments here, but I think the bottom line is that I buy your argument if you were saying current technology defined as DL reasoners manipulating OWL assertions, but that's not what the Semantic Web is all about, and the URI-based reference mechanism coupled with the standard for KR and other aspects is aimed exactly at scalability.
>
> I don't have time for a long email discussion on this right now, I simpl wanted to remind the forum that there is argument with your contention, and that not everyone agrees (both of which are self evident arguments).
> I leave it to the readers of your paper to think about these issues - that's all.
>  -Jim H.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Message Archives:
http://colab.cim3.net/forum/cuo-wg/ 
> Subscribe/Unsubscribe/Config:
http://colab.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/cuo-wg/
> To Post: mailto:cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Community Portal: http://colab.cim3.net/
> Shared Files: http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/cuo-wg/
> Community Wiki: http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/CommonUpperOntologyWG
>
>

Community Portal: http://colab.cim3.net/
Shared Files: http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/cuo-wg/
Community Wiki: 
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/CommonUpperOntologyWG    (01)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>