cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] Resolving Jim Hendler's comments on paper

To: "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:08:16 -0600
>CDSI WG,
>
>       Jim Hendler (the Semantic Web guru)
>provided the below comments to the attached
>paper.
>
>       We'll soon resolve all his technical
>comments, but let's first address his bottom
>line (found in last message):
>
>               "I think the bottom line is that
>I buy your argument if you were saying current
>               technology defined as DL
>reasoners manipulating OWL assertions, but
>that's not
>               what the Semantic Web is all
>about, and the URI-based reference mechanism
>               coupled with the standard for KR
>and other aspects is aimed exactly at
>scalability."
>
>Request: Let's more than one of us try to
>explain what he refers to as "URI-based
>reference mechanism coupled with the standard
>for KR."    (01)

OK, here's my take on that.    (02)

First, "standard for KR". I think all that Jim
means is, the SWeb is intended to use whatever is
the best available KR mechanism that can be
adopted as a 'standard', ie which a wide enough
spectrum of users can be persuaded to agree to
use. No such choice will be free from
controversy. OWL wasn't and isn't free from
controversy, and nobody even knows if a large
enough community can ever be brought to consensus
on an acceptable Rule language. But assuming that
some WG can get its job completed, and produces a
useful notation, then that can be used on the
SWeb. There are plenty of potential candidates
which are way more expressive than OWL readily
available. So it would be a mistake to identify
the SWeb vision with OWL or DL technology in
particular. OWL-DL is just the first in what one
hopes will be an evolving series of KR standards
which will provide the infrastructure of the
SWeb. Perhaps the next one will be more like
Python+Prolog on steroids. Or it may be a
breakthrough in CL reasoners using the guarded
fragment, who knows? The decision is as much
political as technical, or even subject to whims
of intellectual fashion.    (03)

"URI-based reference mechanism" is more
interesting. This is one of the few things that
really is new and different about the SWeb: it is
part of the Web, and subject to Web conventions
and protocols. It isn't *just* applied ontology
engineering. So, every SWeb ontology is required
to use names drawn from a (literally) global set
of names. The scope of these names is the entire
Web. There are no 'locally scoped' or 'private'
names on the Sweb. So if your ontology uses a
name for a concept, my ontology can use it too.
Anyone can 'say' anything about everyone else's
concepts, on the Sweb. This is a whole new game,
which nobody has played before. A can introduce a
concept called A:thingie1 and B can introduce
B:thingie2, and C can then, entirely
independently and without asking for A or B's
permission, assert that (say) A:thingie1 is the
same as B:thingie2. A and B may disagree: tough
tittie, they can't stop C from making the
assertion. C can say things about A's ontology,
in fact, such as assert that it is all BS. The
globality of the namespace has a whole range of
consequences which we are only beginning to
explore. And being URIs (actually IRIs these
days) , these names can also be used as
identifiers which *access* things on the Web.
Whether these accessed things should be the
referents of the names is currently controversial
(I think not, in general), but that they access
*something* is not even remotely at issue. So
SWeb concept names have a whole new
dimensionality to them, which is (or at any rate
can be) orthogonal to their use as referring
names. In particular, it allows ontologies to
"address" other ontologies (a pale version of
which is the OWL:imports primitive, but one can
do a lot more than this), which obviously has
many potential applications relevant to scaling.    (04)

Hope this helps.    (05)

BTW, I entirely agree with Jim's optimism. I
think people are way too scared of
inconsistencies. Lets wait and see what problems
actually crop up before trying to solve or avoid
ones that we only worry about rather than
actually find.    (06)

Pat    (07)

--
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office