cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] Resolving Jim Hendler's comments on paper

To: common upper ontology working group <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Hanson, Chuck" <chuck.hanson@xxxxxxxx>, Joe Rockmore <rockmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, mdean@xxxxxxx, "Kormann, Joseph" <joseph.kormann@xxxxxxxx>, "Kain, Leslie" <leslie.kain@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Conklin, Don" <don.conklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 07:02:00 -0700
Jim(s) et al,    (01)

I think Jim H's comment refers to concerns in the early web about it not
scaling well. Obviously, it does scale. But at a price...the current web
freedom (semi-anarchy) means it's hard to find the useful information in
a timeframe that's acceptable. Especially to military types. The use of
URI's and a standard web KR language greatly increased the utility of
the WWW, among other ways, by improving search. But the decentralized
nature of the open web encouraged some types of activities (broader and
better search, although the bar for word searches is not set especially
high) while hindering others (such as standardized upper level
representations).     (02)

Let me take an aside to discuss the scenario in the paper. Wow. If you
could actually develop a military plan in a distributed fashion by
agents alone, it's time to check into the prices of airline tickets to
Stockholm. It is a phenomenally difficult problem. And I think too far
to grasp right now. The information to build a good plan does not solely
reside in databases. Most of it is in message traffic. So, until you get
entity extraction of events and relationships, in context, down the plan
stuff will be really hard.    (03)

I'd recommend the low lying fruit first. If you could get the Army
logistics _databases_ to talk to each other all the way from the Camp
supply sergeant to the Office of the Chief of Staff of the Army for
Logistics, that would be a useful and achievable goal. With one vertical
line then build out horizontally to other services or DLA. Perhaps they
should connect just at the top level or they may need to cross talk at
all levels. That's a big task right there. And immediately adds value in
a manner that can be quantified. Last I heard the Army did not know how
many Humvees it had in the inventory. I bet FEDEX knows exactly how many
trucks it has.    (04)

I recall saying I'd be the resident contrarian in this group when I
joined. I am not convinced that any one upper representation will work,
or perhaps just as important, endure. I think if we had smart systems
that could understand term definitions in context the upper standard
would not be required. For instance, the Russians build a fine aircraft
with their designation of SU-27. NATO gave it a codename of Flanker. The
Russian pilots call it a Swallow (for its graceful lines).  Bottom line
in my world is that it is a fighter, and quite capable. I don't care how
others refer to it, as long as I know it's a fighter and I have its
capabilities cataloged, I am a happy camper. I think this gets back to
Jim H's point of it's my local mappings I care about. Where the details
bite us all, it the "not with full fidelity" part of Jim's comment. That
approach is fine when there's no worry about the local insurgents
overrunning your base. When the bullets are flying, time and accuracy
matter - a lot. So the decision here is how much fidelity is good enough
in this environment.     (05)

Don Conklin
Lockheed Martin IS&S
7021 Harbour View Blvd, Suite 105