cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] An Evolved Approach to CDSI?

To: "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Haugh, Brian" <bhaugh@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 23:32:21 -0500

Adrian,

I can see how you might get the impression that the user was left out. But, as I described the C2IEDM/GH5 effort, the users are ideally involved from the outset, although those users best be domain experts as well. There is the further question of how the translations or ontologies might  evolve over time, which was not discussed. In any case, a strategy for involving the users and/or updating the results seems independent of whether you take a designed or an evolutionary approach. So, I wouldn’t say it combines them, whether or not you use a machine executable form of a natural language.

But, using natural language to communicate with the users/SMEs certainly seems essential. Previously, this has been accomplished via conversation between the techie modelers and the SMEs. But, restricted English interfaces, like yours and others, offer the promise of more direct and less ambiguous communication between SMEs and the formal information model/ontology tools.

Incidentally, I’ve been wondering if you have done a comparison of your Executable English compared to the Common Logic Controlled English (CLCE) form, especially with respect to expressive power, where CLCE seems quite strong.

Brian

Brian A. Haugh, Ph.D.
Institute for Defense Analyses
Information Technology and Systems Division  Phone: (703) 845-6678
4850 Mark Center Drive                       Fax: (703) 845-6848
Alexandria, VA 22311-1882                    Email: bhaugh@xxxxxxx