cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] An Evolved Approach to CDSI?

To: "Haugh, Brian" <bhaugh@xxxxxxx>, "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Brad Cox, Ph.D." <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 07:38:22 -0500
> with no real semantic interoperability,
> which I thought was the focus of this group.    (01)

That brings us squarely to the question I've been struggling to expose;
exactly what is the goal of this group, minus code phrases ("semantic
interoperability" or "N^2 problem") whose meaning won't be shared by folks
like me... or those who'll ultimately pass on whatever solutions we propose.    (02)

I'll propose a solution to our internal group semantic interop problem
(leaving the designed vs evolved solutions to external problems stand for
now).  That is to define the use case for the problem to be solved. The
group's wiki page will do for now, front and center where it can't be missed.
This should be done collaboratively, and with more care than I've given it,
since the use case chosen will have radical impact on solution approaches
(designed vs evolved, etc). Here's a rough draft, no doubt leaning toward my
biases, based on another example posted earlier to this list:     (03)

Use Case:
A officer on the battlefield learns of an entirely new source for weather
data. He is tasked to integrate that data with existing data sources to
prepare tomorrow's battle plan.    (04)

Key phrases:
The words "new" and "tomorrow" challenge both of the proposed solutions. For
the designed approach, this impliels 24 hours to communicate an entirely new
source to the upper ontology experts, encorporate the new data source into
their upper ontology database (including whatever support from domain experts
may be required) and return working translators to the officer. For the
evolved approach, there is 24 hours assemble a domain expert team from
upstream/downstream domains, build a working translation, and put it to effect.     (05)

24 hours may not be possible with either approach, barring war-winning
benefits. But it does suggest specific tooling differences. For example, the
evolved approach would demand very elaborate collaboration tools for pulling
domain experts together on a moment's notice, plus very specialized tools for
designating which messages must be translated *for that specific interface*,
and how.     (06)

Similar tools could be proposed for the designed approach. The key difference
is they'd be concerned with the new interface in relation to all existing
nodes, whereas the evolved approach focuses on only the two sides of the
single new interface.    (07)

--
Work: Brad Cox, Ph.D; Binary Group; Mail bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Home: 703 361 4751; Chat brdjcx@aim; Web http://virtualschool.edu    (08)