cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] WC3 Solutions

To: common upper ontology working group <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Brad Cox, Ph.D." <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:19:22 -0500
Absolutely agree re: W3C and standardization in general. That's always the
cheapest solution, when it works. Often doesn't, so what then?     (01)

But...
> That's totally unsuitable for the tempo of military operations, and
> probably for almost anything else.  Interoperability has been a problem
> for the military at least since Alexander, and probably much longer.
> The traditional (pre-computer) solutions have been standardization,
> regimentation, and a rigidly hierarchical data flow structure.     (02)

I still fail to seen why what I said is unsuitable for anything else or
military systems in particular. What I'm talking about isn't particularly
hard, other than getting domain experts to collaborate with the domain experts
on the other side of each interface. They're all busy people so that's hard.
But not impossible. And the technology  at each interface is trivial. XSLT
would do fine.    (03)

To restate; adapters are what you do when standardization fails. Seems like
common sense to me, so I still suspect I'm missing something others see in
this problem.     (04)

--
Work: Brad Cox, Ph.D; Binary Group; Mail bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Home: 703 361 4751; Chat brdjcx@aim; Web http://virtualschool.edu    (05)