cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] My Comments on DoD Net-Centric Data Strategy

To: "'common upper ontology working group'" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Doug Holmes <dholmes@xxxxxxx>
From: "Frank Alvidrez, CEA" <frank.alvidrez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:11:14 -0700
Jim,

I would suggest that we solicit the help of the National Academies to help map out a strategy to help migrate DoD into a semantic technology environment.  I participated in the Study for Innovative Technologies for Naval Aviation (Navy Studies Board) and they published an excellent report on ForceNet Implementation Strategy.  I think a similar approach with a diverse but small group from DoD and Industry working to work implementation strategy could be of  great benefit.  A similar effort to the "WonderWeb" activities that the EU is working to but more along the lines of a DoD implementation.  What I believe could come out of any National Academy report would be strategies that could help with Transformation, Acquisition Reform, Interoperability, etc.,  Items that are high on both DoD and the Industry's list to try to accomplish.  I would suggest that serving on the board would be representatives from the Acquisition Community (DAU reps for example), DoD Joint Staff personnel (somebody familiar with JCIDS, C4ISR, etc.,) some Industry people (backgrounds in Semantic Technologies, Program Management and Network Centric) and somebody out of the Force Transformation group (Alberts, Gartska, et. al.).  The basic idea is; "OK, so we know this is exciting technology, but how can we aid it's implementation".  The idea of an upper ontology is terrific but it's like looking at a the top portion of the tip of the iceberg.

Just some thoughts,

Frank C. Alvidrez, CEA