wtkn-forum

[wtkn-forum] Conspectus Approach to Collection Analysis

To: wtkn-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Rita Evans" <revans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:17:50 -0800
WTKN,    (01)

One of the projects identified at the first NTKN meeting was collaborative
collection development, and collection analysis and development have been
discussed by a working group for the past few months. I'd like to share a
tool we talked about.    (02)

Some of you may find a conspectus approach to be a useful way of analyzing
your collection. You divide the collection into whatever number of topics
makes sense for you, and then you determine the collecting level. It's a
way of looking at how the collection has been developed and how you may
want to change the emphasis.    (03)

I've attached the conspectus for the Institute of Transportation Studies
Library at UC Berkeley. While this is a large, academic research
collection, the approach will work for libraries of any size. The form
allows you to capture other information, such as other libraries that
collect in a particular area, or changes in the level of collecting at
your library.    (04)

Please let me know if you have any questions about the attached conspectus
or this process.    (05)

Rita    (06)

Rita Evans
Library Director