soa-forum

[soa-forum] Review of SOA/SSOA White Papers/Case Studies

To: soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Niemann.Brand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:34:35 -0500

Dr. Steve Else, Co-Chair of the KM WG has volunteered to do a short article on the SOA E-Gov Conference and then a series of 2-3 articles on the conference.

In addition, we have received a number of White Papers on SOA and SSOA coming out of the 5th Semantic Interoperability for E-Government Conference and the 2nd SOA for E-Government Conference that we want to review and learn from for planning our next conferences as follows:

1. Arun Majumdar, Cutter Consortium/VivioMind Intelligence

http://www.cutter.com/offers/SOAorSOS.html (free download)

Cutter Consortium Executive Report, "SOA or SOS? Rationale for a Semantic Service-Oriented Infrastructure"

2. Cory Casanave, Data Access Technologies, and SOA CoP Demonstration Lead

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SoaLobDemoDocs

3. SOA and Web Services Conference, October 16-18th, with SOA Case Studies in Private Industry

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SOAandWebServices_2006_10_18

4. Satish Gattadahalli, Senior Enterprise Architect, US Government Solutions, EDS

http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SOACoP/2006_10_3031/Presentations/agile_enterprise%5b1%5d.pdf
White paper I published based on practical experience a couple of years ago. This article has been excerpted and published in a book internationally on Agile Enterprise. Feel free to share it with the IAC and other communities of interest. Also, what would be interesting to our community is to develop or come to some shared understanding of vendor-neutral artifacts such as:
1) SOA ontology [concepts, taxonomy, relationships, etc]
2) SOA methodology and road map
3) SOA Reference Model [technical reference model]
4) SOA Governance Model, and touch points with overall IT Governance
5) SOA Metrics [ROI, estimation, engineering, systems quality, etc]
6] SOA standards
7) Recommendations for FEA SCM, CPIC community, etc
8) Case Studies, best practices, and lessons learned
9) Risk Management
This can be accomplished as a cook book for Federal CIOs. Can you float this idea among the IAC and Federal Community to stimulate more dialogue?

We will start to discuss these papers/case studies at our next Best Practices Committee Meeting on November 20th - see http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BestPracticesCommittee_2006_11_20#nid3ACB

Brand

SOA and SICoP Co-Chair