soa-forum

[soa-forum] disaster management interoperability services and SOA

To: "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:27:07 -0600

(US Federal) SOA CoP forum members:

As part of a PowerPoint presentation by Disaster Management Interoperability Services we have a diagram where COGs (Collaborative Operations Groups) are pictured in a "bottom up fashion. I have placed the diagram at

http://www.secondschool.net/beads/communityCentric/18.htm

Note that there is not an intermediator loop involving knowledge engineers , but rather a vetting of information by COGs and the aggregation of information structure by humans (non-IT professionals).

How do the members of this SOA CoP forum see this type of human collaboration in the context of Service Oriented Architecture, let us say specifically the demo of a simple SOA at the upcoming workshop April 23 - 24?

(This communication to the SOA CoP forum is posted at [19] and responses will be posted (sometimes edited) at [20] and beyond.)

The distinction I make between "simple services" and "complex services" follows the distinction made by

http://www.uni-hohenheim.de/wi1/Mitarbeiter/schoop.php

where a complex service is one having a pragmatic axis. see also the work by de Moor.

The current description of the SOA demo was placed, by Cory, for reference at

http://osera.modeldriven.org/soademo/SOABrokerCommunitySpec.doc

The document states that

The goals of this demonstration are;

· To provide a concrete example of how the SOA approach provides business value to a community

· To provide confidence that the approach and technologies are real – secure, reliable, performing and practical.

· To validate that independently developed applications can interoperate using SOA standards

This demo provides part of the solution to observed failures in federal emergency response...

I propose that this SOA CoP forum develop specifications that address the needs to assist and mediate the formation of information (structure) as part of a parallel harvesting of text from the layers of the COG as pictured in that diagram (at [18]). This specification would use all of the types of tools in the SOA CoP demo (ebXML, WSDL being the primary ones) as well as HML (Human Markup Language) and OASIS BCM (with a focus on electronic contract/ agreement negotiation - again see references to Schoop and de Moor and human choice points) as well as what are called "semantic extraction" tools (see for "my" terminological use ..

http://www.secondschool.net/beads/communityCentric/vocabularyList.htm

This formation of information is the sameAs the induction of symbols and meaning discussed by Rex Brooks presentation (see slide 7)

from

http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SOACoP/Proposals/Brooks_Semantic_Interoperability_at_Work_03.ppt

The issue of the origin of control/design over emerging information structure from COGs, immediately after a disaster has occurred, is addressed by the elements of the BCNGroup Roadmap...

http://www.bcngroup.org/area1/2005beads/GIF/RoadMap.htm

and in various posts that I have made to this forum....

http://www.secondschool.net/beads/communityCentric/home.htm

Paul S Prueitt