soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] Interesting comments on community from Aldo de Moor

To: "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:49:26 -0600

reposting....  (first post did not go through)    (01)

Comment regarding Andrew's recent message and Cory's position (if I
understand this)..    (02)

One can see the positive and negative in the management of a process (this
process) when there are discussions that are made by brute force (such as
the assertion that Andrew is concerned about ie that SOA is sameAs OMG
specifications).    (03)

However, I point out that the reference mode for open distributed processing
opens up the discussion regarding the nature of community  ...  and so
perhaps this new opening might be useful to discuss...  I hope that a
message from Jay Bayne to a different forum might helps us focus on the
nature of community.    (04)

**********************    (05)

The following is posted also at    (06)

http://www.secondschool.net/beads/ontologyMapping/40.htm    (07)

Jay,    (08)

The communication you sent is indeed very relevant to the issue of how IT
standards treat the phenomenon of community, or enterprise (or social
network).   I have posted your communication at:    (09)

http://www.secondschool.net/beads/ontologyMapping/39.htm    (010)

noting for others that your (25 years of) work on telecommunications and
large distributed computing systems (needing control) has focused on the
machine side of the anticipatory web.   Now, government and industry is more
and more focused (or trying to focus) on the human side of the web.  Even
with this focus, the novelty of emergent phenomenon (in switching networks -
see the work at Santa Fe Institute and by Stu Kauffman).    (011)

I again mention (our opinion) that the BioPAX work (using OWL Full) is the
leading edge in the attempted application of description logic based
ontology (www.bioPAX.org) and the issues related to (1) data integration
from data sources that already assume/assert a strong deterministic nature
to cell and gene expression and 2) response degeneracy (as the term is used
by Nobel prize winner Gerald Edelman).   #2 is related to the technical
specification of "n-ary" and "n-articulated ontology" to be developed in a
new technical specification (see below).    (012)

Google with only two hits (smiles)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22n-articulated+ontology%22&btnG=S
earch    (013)

The second school asserts that "semantic" is overused and not centric to the
social/cognitive aspects of human interaction, and thus suggests that
"anticipatory web is a better phrase for what is "next" in mankind's
flirting with distributed collaboration and distributed intelligence.    (014)

http://www.ontologystream.com/beads/nationalDebate/challengeProblem.htm    (015)

But the so called "second school" does not have very much of the
problem/solution figured out.  So we are considering/attempting the
formation of a OASIS Technical Committee focused on : Community Centric
Service Methodology.    (016)

Here is a summary of the discussion up to now:    (017)

Re-expression and unification of some standards    (018)

We suggest that the following standards (mostly OASIS) be synthesized and
re-expressed in the (possible) OASIS CCSM standard.    (019)

WSDL
ebXML
BCM
Topic Maps
OWL Full
BPEL
BPMN
UML
SOA=IM
SOA-CS
FERA    (020)

(Cory and others are also pointing to the RM-ODP as discussed at
http://www.secondschool.net/beads/ontologyMapping/38.htm)    (021)

In fact, a strong agreement is made by your post at [40].    (022)

We feel that three phrases are important so as to make distinctions    (023)

    services    web-services    service webs    (024)

and we will use this language in the CCSM.    (025)