soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] "12 Steps to SOA" Excellent SOA Presentation and Podcast

To: "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:58:00 -0500
Thanks for forwarding this Ira - David Linthicum has been one of my
strongest technology influences over the past several years (I've told
him that). He is also local to the DC area (he lives in Centerville VA),
in case we'd ever like to have him speak at an event (I would be happy
to broker this).    (01)

Before getting into my observations, I would like to point out that
Toyota actually has *four* steps to SOA[1]. Will we soon be down to only
one?:)    (02)

One thing that I would like to point out about Dave's presentation -
which I know he would agree with as an observation - is that his 12
steps are somewhat of a bottom-up approach to SOA, which is probably the
most frequent approach that one will see; but not the only one. I say
this because he doesn't arrive at defining processes until step 9 (so
it's more like "deriving" processes from services), whereas a more
"top-down" approach would come at it from above and decompose processes
into services.    (03)

Both approaches are, in general, valid - it all depends on what problem
you are trying to solve, the scope, the funding, etc. I used quotes for
"top-down" because when I hear that, I always ask myself: top of what? A
function within a department? A department within an organization? An
organization itself? etc. And if you are at the "top" of a department
within an organization, from the standpoint of the organization itself
you are really doing "bottom-up" SOA anyway.    (04)

I think all would agree that if one is doing "top-down" SOA at the
highest level (the enterprise level), then you are doing enterprise
architecture, in a service-oriented manner (what some may call
"service-oriented enterprise architecture"). Other than that, one should
always question what "top" means.    (05)

Joe    (06)

[1]
http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/development/webservices/s
tory/0,10801,109387,00.html?source=x606