soa-forum

Re: [soa-forum] RE: SOA Community Demo Con Call

To: Brand Niemann <bniemann@xxxxxxx>, Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andrew S. Townley" <andrew.townley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:55:13 +0000

Hi all,    (01)

I'm not sure if the conference call is open or not, so I'll just give
some initial feedback on the straw man here--assuming that you want a
few opinions about the specification.  Please don't take these as being
over critical, because I'm just trying to help.    (02)

I think what you guys are trying to do is great, but I'm wondering what
implementing the spec as-is will prove.  The reason is that, if I've
read the document correctly, you're effectively talking about a "green
field" type of project with centralized control and everything being
defined by MDA.  I don't really see how this will prove anything other
than SOAP/WSDL + WS-* will allow you to do distributed computing.  You
could do this with CORBA/J2EE and tunnel everything over port 80 with
standardized data formats.    (03)

I think the demo will only really provide value if it takes a more
real-world look at the scenario.  I think this can be accomplished by
including the following things:    (04)

     1. Including evolution of a message definition and, since you're
        using WSDL, a service interface, and
     2. including some sort of recognition that in an actual scenario,
        you're more likely going to be dealing with a variety of message
        types which are structurally different but represent the same
        semantic concept.    (05)

If you don't take these things into account, you're not really dealing
with SOA, but a very limited-use, vertical Web services network.  I also
think, to be realistic, you're going to need to deal with certain fault
conditions to prove how flexible the SOA community is when things
break.  Are there intermediaries?    (06)

Also, from my reading of the initial draft, it's not clear how BEPL will
be applied.  Is this just to allow implementation of agents using a
workflow or orchestration engine, or is it intended to represent
Choreography-style service instructions embedded in the message?    (07)

Like I said, I'm not trying to be hyper-critical, I'm just very curious
to see how these things work in a "genuine" WS-* model vs. what we're
doing.  As I'm in Ireland, I'm not sure how practical it is for me to
actively contribute, but I am interested in participating in this effort
in some capacity.    (08)

Thanks for listening,    (09)

ast    (010)

--
Join me in Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 8-10th when I will be speaking at
InfoSeCon 2006.  For more information, see www.infosecon.org.    (011)

Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is
unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any
review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this
message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies
thereof from your system.