Re: [ontac-forum] Semantics and Ontology and Semiotics

To: Azamat <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: semantic-web@xxxxxx, ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 09:35:59 -0500
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 11:50:25AM +0300, Azamat wrote:
> >>There is a rather clear conditional statement, with the plain
> >>vanilla meaning:
> >>
> >><AA> the whole enterprise of semantic technology is an otiose
> >>undertaking and expansive academic mystification without
> >>understanding of the nature of meaning, its critical dimensions,
> >>mechanisms and algorithms of representation in computable forms.    (01)

Azamat,    (02)

You are correct.  I was careless, and I did misread the sentence in
question even after your first attempt to point out the error.    (03)

My error is particularly regrettable as it distracted attention away
from the substantial objection I have to your remarks, viz., that you
regularly set up a false dichtomy between formal logic/semantics and
real world ontology.  I apologize to you for the misrepresentation in
question and would ask you only to focus on the remainder of the
message, which I still stand by.    (04)

Chris Menzel    (05)