RE: [ontac-forum] Ontology change 'on the fly' - does the upperontology

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:38:16 +0100
Dear Pat,

I'm afraid this is not true:

> *** But, BUT, BUT!!!!! ***
> If any two ontology-driven systems want to work together, that upper ontology, WHATEVER IT IS, has to be the same.

If you don't have a common upper ontology you do need to have a mapping between the upper ontologies you do have. What is true that having a common upper ontology give efficiency benefits as the number of ontologies you are trying to integrate rises. At about 4 ontologies a common ontology (at all levels that are shared) pays off.

Regards

Matthew