RE: [ontac-forum] Problems of ontology

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:05:38 -0400
The question of what fraction of implicit ontology people share is, as
Leo points out, an empirical question that cannot be answered reliably
by intuitive guessing.  My own guess is that at the level of the
"defining conceptual vocabulary" (the most basic 3000-5000 concepts)
the overlap is much greater than 95%.  This is, I think, a very
important question.    (01)

My best expectation right now about how to investigate that question
*empirically* is to try to find what the overlap is by trying to build
a common upper ontology and to discover in that way which specific
elements are inconsistent among the different participants.    (02)

I hope to provide some additional specific suggestions soon about how
an English "defining vocabulary" could help in this task.  There are
some bureaucratic impediments that need to be settled first.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way