Re: [ontac-forum] Re: Semantic Layers (Was Interpretation of RDF reifica

To: "adasal" <adam.saltiel@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, semantic-web@xxxxxx, Paul S Prueitt <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, brian.macklin@xxxxxxxxxx, timbl+speaking@xxxxxx, colette.maloney@xxxxxxxxxx, ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:24:24 +0300

Adam,

The FP 6th budget is almost a history, no need to count what is consumed, although the figures i presented taken from the EC official papers. Better look at the FP 7th Budget, starting January 1st, 2007, and amounting to 72 726 million, with the indicative breakdown:

Cooperation - 12 670 million; Ideas - 11 862, People - 7129, and research infrastructure - 3961. For ICT programs, it is allocated 12 670 million.  Since the idea is to build the Europe of Knowledge, Knowledge-Intensive Society, Knowledge Base of Europe and Technological Know How, try and count what portion will be channeled towards semantic-based knowledge systems and intellectual technologies, directly through the ICT programs and indirectly through other projects : New production Technologies - 4832 million; Security and Space - 3960, Health - 8 312.

The coming European Commission 7th Framework Programme for Research, Technological Development and Demonstration is built on better principles. First of all, it presupposes an abundant financing of individual projects under the rubric 'Ideas' (as investigator-driven frontier research by individual teams, judged by a European Scientific Council). Besides, to avoid bad misuses, frauds, self-regulation and poor deliverables allowed by 6th FP, the whole European science system is claimed to be overhauled: professional expertise and advice, quality publications, monitoring and control, trust, independent reviewing, ethical behaviour, public transparency, and financial audit.

The urgent issue is to understand what is really going on as the semantic web and the semantic-based knowledge systems, so that to avoid a harmful confounding the syntactic web with the semantic web (think the creator of the cake may as well say how it must be cooked).

If what is now going  is really the syntactic web, as John states and i intend to agree with him, then something must be done urgently. For then the SW folks make, intentionally or unintentionally, deceitful pretenses, getting and planning to obtain an underserved public funding, which looks enormous, and thus confusing both the World and the governments. Simply put, we must understand which web (or architectural pillars) most fits the matter, the formal semantic web (i.e., the syntactic web, known as the SW layer cake) or the real semantic web, something like this version:

<Real Semantic Web> ::= <Ontological Framework> < Logical Framework> <Semiotics> <the Web>
<Ontological Framework> ::= <UFO> <Upper Level Ontologies> <Domain Ontologies> <EOL>

<Logical Framework> ::= <FMF> | <  ... > <EOL>

<Semiotics> ::= <Pragmatics> <Semantics> <Syntax> <EOL>
<Pragmatics> ::= <Users> <Web Agents> <Intentions> <Actions> <Communication> < Proof, Trust> | <Truth> <EOL>

<Semantics> ::= <Signs, Natural Language Expressions> <Meanings> <EOL>

<Syntax> ::= <Rules> <OWL Ontology> <RDF Schema> <RDF M&S> < RDF> <XML/SGML> <Namespaces> <EOL>
<the Web>  ::= <Resources, state, representation, identification, URI, Unicode> <Interaction, sofware agents, hypertext links, protocols, HTTP>  <data Formats, HTML, XHTML> <EOL>
Regards,
Azamat Abdoullaev