RE: [ontac-forum] Future directions for ontologies and terminologies [lo

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:17:34 -0500
Chuck,    (01)

This message is a bit long, so be forewarned! I'll divide it into your
2 questions.    (02)

1) Typically taxonomies are trees, i.e., one root, no multiple
inheritance ala graphs (cyclic/acyclic). But of course in conceptual
models and logical theories (ontologies) that (strong) subclass-based
taxonomic backbone can be a graph, though there are still strong
arguments that you need to minimize multiple parents: cf. the OntoClean
methodology of Guarino and Welty (multiple citations). Thesauri
"taxonomies" are typically trees too, with possibly multiple roots
(multiple broaderThan/narrowerThan subsumptive taxonomies) sometimes
called "facets". Which then support cross-references.    (03)

2) Concerning reasoning over taxonomy/subsumption (subsumption just
means subset relationships, generalization at the top downward to
increased specialization) structures, and how those are interpreted
with respect to intension/extension:     (04)

You can consider class nodes to be intensional, meaning, e.g., that the
class Person is considered to be a description (with properties such as
having a birthdate, a name, an address, etc.) that potentially many
instances could be covered under. Then the intensional Person could
have multiple extensions, meaning that the intension Person in one
context/world/database consists of the extension "John Smith, Harry
Jones, Mary White", in another context/world/database consists of the
extension "Joe Public, Sally Brown, Kathy Citizen". This is why a
relational database schema is called the intensional database, and the
actual rows of data are called the extensional database: you can use
the same schema and have different rows. Over time in a database, you
have different extensions.    (05)

But you can also consider classe to be extensional, and this is
probably the usual meaning of class in philosophy, etc., i.e., close to
the notion in mathematical set theory of a member of a set, e.g., the
class person = {joe, mary, harry}. And the class mammal = {{joe, mary,
harry}, {tyger, leo}, {rover, spot, lassie}, {tabby, garfield}, ...},
i.e., the set of all subsets of mammal, each subset of which probably
identifies a particular extensional class: human, tiger, dog, cat, ...    (06)

The usual distinction: intension talks about the property, extension
talks about the things that have that property in a particular context.
Example: consider the red property. You can say a lot about what the
red property means, e.g., it's typically a range of visible spectrum,
with particular wavelengths, frequencies, etc. And you can talk about
particular objects having the red property: this red ball, that red
rose, in fact all of the actual things in the universe that have the
red property. The former is the intension (the property), the latter is
the extension (things that have the property, i.e., members of the set
having that propertys).    (07)

Now there are many fine points about intension/extension, but I won't
go into them here. Suffice it to say, different knowledge
representation (KR) languages do things differently.    (08)

For example, description logics (of which OWL is one) typically have
intensional classes. Classes are "descriptions", meaning they are more
like "definite descriptions" in natural language semantics: the
description "the man with the hat in the corner", "the current
president of the USA", "the morning star", "the evening star", "the
property red". Rather than particular persons or planets that have
those descriptions (Bob, George Bush, Venus, etc.)    (09)

But OWL has an "equivalentClass" which means that two classes (as
distinct intensions/descriptions) have the same extensions (cf.
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#equivalentClass-def), but the two
intensional concepts are not the same (e.g., "president of the US" \=
"current primary resident of the White House").     (010)

The reasoning over either the intensional or the extensional form can
be as robust. We could get a bit more complicated and talk about FOL
vs. modal predicate logic (the former usually extensional, the latter
intensional), but we won't here.     (011)

Hope this helps a bit. I know it's kind of confusing, but I hope this
clarified it at least a little.    (012)

Thanks,
Leo    (013)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (014)