RE: Re:[ontac-forum] Future directions for ontologiesand terminologies

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:08:47 -0500
Denise,    (01)

But WordNet does have hypernymy (parent or broader-than) and hyponymy
(child or narrower-than) links between words (synsets), no? So it's
very close to a thesaurus. You are right that you cannot use a
thesaurus for concepts or describing meaning, since thesauri are about
term relationships. I think your rich domain thesaurus is probably a
conceptual model.    (02)

The usual range of semantic models I characterize as, from less to more
expressive semantics: taxonomy, thesaurus, conceptual model, logical
theory, with the addendum that taxonomies are weak (arbitrary
parent-child relation) or strong (narrowerThan or subClass parent-child
relations, the former for terms as in the taxonomic backbone of a
thesaurus, the latter for concepts in a conceptual model or logical
theory's taxonomic backbone). Conceptual models can be viewed as weak
ontologies; logical theories as strong ontologies, with the primary
distinction being that logical theories are expressed in a knowledge
representation language that is logic-based, hence supports machine
semantic interpretation, and conceptual models do not.    (03)

You can review my recent Ontolog 2 part briefing (Jan. 12 & 19, 2006)
on these distinctions (using the Ontology Spectrum) "What is an
Ontology: The Range of Semantic Models" at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_01_12,
i.e.:    (04)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/resource/presentation/LeoObrst_20060112/On
tologySpectrumSemanticModels--LeoObrst_20060112.ppt.    (05)

Also an audio track of both talks are available at:    (06)

Part 1, Jan. 12, 2006, 1 Hour 40 Minutes, Recording File Size: 23.4 MB
(in mp3 format):
http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/resource/presentation/LeoObrst_20060112/On
tologySpectrumSemanticModels--LeoObrst_Recording-2473397-874999_2006011
2.mp3    (07)

Part 2, Jan. 19, 2006, 1 Hour 42 Minutes, Recording File Size: 23.9 MB
(in mp3 format):
http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/resource/presentation/LeoObrst_20060112/On
tologySpectrumSemanticModels--LeoObrst_Recording-2496706-401969_2006011
9.mp3    (08)

Thanks,
Leo    (09)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (010)