Re: [ontac-forum] Theories, Models, Reasoning, Language, and Truth

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:58:46 +0200
John made rather sweeping generalizations:
''everything I see is a sign, everything I feel is a sign, everything I think is a sign,
and everything I say is a sign.  It's all signs all the way down.'

Actually, not every thing is a sign, rather 'every sign is also a thing'. So more secure is here to stick to the traditional Augustine's theory of signs based on the threefold division of things:
I. There are things that are merely things, all acting as the ultimate references and meanings in Real (Ontological) Semantics;
II. There are things that are also signs of other things, as some natural signs [causally related as smoke and the fire] and the things of the human mind, thoughts, concepts and ideas, feelings and images, functioning as the senses in Conceptual and Pragmatic Semantics;
III. There are things that are always signs, as words and other symbols signifying things via mental signs (Aquinas), studied by Linguistic Semantics and exploited by Semantic Web Ontologies.
 So there are things as such as well as natural and intentional or conventional signs, like a verbal sign getting its deep meaning from the real entity signified,  but of couse not 'in its use in the language' (Wittgenstein).
So then all words, writen and spoken, are symbols of thoughts and images, which are the shared mental experiences of the things in the world.

Azamat Abdoullaev
EIS Ltd
Pafos, CYPRUS