[ontac-forum] Re: discussion about censorship

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:40:14 -0500
All,    (01)

As someone who teaches grad school level knowledge management courses, I find
this exchange fascinating.   Primarily because it represents a classic example
of someone offering practical knowledge that may validate/invalidate commonly
held assumptions put forward by a single community.   It also tells me that some
of the negative aspects of traditional invisible colleges are still alive and
well in the digital world.    (02)

No one forces us to open an email message and read it.   As a participant in
other lists, I have trained myself to quickly evaluate threads and decide
whether I want to actively participate, to quietly monitor or to delete the
messages.   We all exercise this common behavior in communities of practice and
in communities of interest.   If I decide that comments from some people may not
have value to me, I simply don't read them.   I certainly don't ask them not to
express their ideas.    (03)

I have seen examples on other lists of a few people putting forth a political
view that does not speak to advancing knowledge in an area.  In those cases,
perhaps there is justification to ask that person to stay on topic.  But, I do
not think that there is a justification for asking people to keep silent.  It
seems to me to be a bit dangerous from an innovation perspective to ask someone
to talk less if they have an idea -- particularly when talking less might either
prevent a suboptimal idea from being critiqued/exposed or a good idea from going
forward.    (04)

Best regards,
Denise Bedford    (05)