RE: Our central COSMO focus (was RE: [ontac-forum] SurveyedOntology"Libr

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peterson, Eric" <EPeterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:49:20 -0500
Please see below.    (01)

[mailto:ontac-forum-
          > bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cassidy, Patrick J.
          > Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 1:35 PM
          > To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion
          > Subject: RE: Our central COSMO focus (was RE: [ontac-forum]
          > SurveyedOntology"Library" Systems -- parts)
          >
          > Eric -
          >     I believe that your point is quite relevant, that the
          > precise
          > nature of how theories will map to one another is an
important
          > issue
          > for us, and that correlating axioms in different source
          > ontologies will
          > be a necessary step to determine this relation, assuming
that we
          > are
          > not starting from ontologies already known to be consistent
with
          > each
          > other (which we aren't).
          >    But the n^2 mapping problem should only bedevil us at an
          > early
          > phase, when we are still evaluating alternative high-level
          > ontologies.
          > As I understand the earlier responses regarding the
direction of
          > the
          > COSMO effort, most of the group is reluctant to chose a
single
          > upper
          > ontology from the start, and would prefer an experimental
break-
          > in
          > phase when alternatives are being explored.    (02)

[Eric P. said] I saw two responses.  Both were against a hub approach.
I'm still curious about how pervasive those anti-hub feelings really
are.  A vote would be interesting.    (03)

          > The formalization
          > of the
          > UMLS semantic network provides an opportunity to do such
          > comparisons
          > (DOLCE/BFO, SUMO, OpenCyc, ISO 15926) with a problem of
          > restricted but
          > meaningful size.  I think there is a likelihood that the
lattice
          > of
          > theories that emerges from an attempt to reconcile different
          > upper
          > ontologies in this test case will have large areas of
agreement
          > and
          > smaller areas of disagreement.  But that is what we need to
          > discover,
          > and this group is superbly qualified to investigate such
issues
          > and to
          > conduct a study of this kind.
[Eric P. said]
[Eric P. said] Remember that the lattice as Dr. Sowa just defined is a
subsumption lattice.  Since one upper ontology has about a snowballs
chance of subsuming the content of another, the interesting lattice of
theories will be the one we create by grouping the axioms that we
encounter.    (04)

          >    And a project starting from a DOLCE-like small upper
ontology
          > and
          > expanding rapidly into specialized areas can be conducted in
          > parallel
          > with the UMLS formalization.  For this case, we might be
able to
          > include the FEA-RMO and a mapping to the DoD Core Taxonomy,
as
          > well as
          > the UMLS.  Although this may involve some seemingly
redundant
          > effort,
          > it does in fact address two different questions, and, with
the
          > results
          > at each phase available on our site for evaluation and
comment,
          > we
          > should be able to avoid genuine inefficiencies that come
from
          > independent projects that are unaware of each other's
          > intermediate
          > results.
[Eric P. said] I strongly suspect that the only significant voting that
this group will do is to vote with the power of our individual donated
time - kind of like voting with our feet.  I will be "voting" with the
creation of a DOLCE-centric hub with some initial focus on mapping in
Cyc events.    (05)

Others would be free to "vote" for other hubs or n^2 anarchy and we
would end up with 'n' ontologies being lashed together in many and
varied ways.  I guess that I can live with that.  We can certainly find
a ways to "turn off" conflicting axioms.    (06)

To include other "voted" work, I suggest we adopt a common syntax like
CL, KIF, or KFL.  Ideally, it would be a symantic web language, but I've
not liked the ones that I've seen FOL-wise.  But an OWL subset would be
useful.    (07)

The point would be that mapping is much easier when all artifacts are in
the same format/language.  And when mappings are done using axioms, then
mapping becomes literally an act of building large things out of smaller
ones.    (08)

          >   I also find the notion of extracting whole class trees
from
          > existing
          > well-constructed ontologies to be an attractive method.  I
think
          > there
          > is a lot to like in the OpenCyc class hierarchy, for example
in
          > the
          > sections that would fit under the DOLCE "particulars"
category -
          > - and
          > the documentation is excellent.  Trees under
          > "personWithOccupation",
          > "Organization", Paths", "Artifact" and "Event" appear well-
          > structured
          > to me, and could be incorporated as is, with supplementation
          > (and
          > perhaps some reinterpretation) where ONTACWG members believe
          > that their
          > own domain concepts do not match precisely the intended
meanings
          > of
          > seemingly similar concepts in the growing ontology.  The
          > relations in
          > Cyc appear to me to be worth using selectively.  But there
is
          > also a
          > lot of valid structure in the SUMO and its extensions, as
well
          > as
          > axioms, many of which can be reused in the Ontology Works
IODE
          > environment.  I don't expect to find actual logical
          > contradiction, but
          > there will probably be subtle differences and overlap which
will
          > require adjustment, merger, or translation, if we will take
          > advantage
          > of both.
          >    Our problem is, of course, our very limited time to work
on
          > complex
          > details.  I will be recommending to the owners of projects I
          > work on to
          > allow much of the content to be made public for ONTACWG use,
as
          > it
          > could become more valuable to them by supplementation from
the
          > work of
          > others.
[Eric P. said] Right.  Well said.
          > I hope that we can get into substantive construction
          > very
          > quickly, and pushing forward with two different
methodologies
          > should
          > allow contributors to work within the methodology most
suitable
          > their own existing projects.
          >    Another issue is the format for the ontologies being
          > constructed.
          > To take advantage of all of the expertise in the ONTACWG, it
          > would be
          > useful to have versions of any ontology we build in KIF and
OWL
          > as well
          > as the IODE kfl language.  We know that the higher-order
          > relations,
          > functions, and axioms will not be usable in the OWL
environment
          > unless
          > supplemented with SWRL, and even then it will be less
expressive
          > than
          > KIF.  But the non-OWL-native information can be preserved in
          > text
          > strings to allow round-trip conversion.  So, a final
question:
          > does any
          > of the ONTACWG members know of anyone who would be willing
          > work on
          > scripts translating OWL <-> KIF, KIF <-> kfl, and kfl <->
OWL?
          > Those
          > among us familiar with any two of those languages can help
in
          > the
          > translation.
          >
          > Pat
          >

          > Patrick Cassidy
          > MITRE Corporation
          > 260 Industrial Way
          > Eatontown, NJ 07724
          > Mail Stop: MNJE
          > Phone: 732-578-6340
          > Cell: 908-565-4053
          > Fax: 732-578-6012
          > Email: pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx

reconciliation
          > of
          > already reconciled theories) is less relevant to this group.
If
          > that
          > is
          > true, we must determine partial ordering of theories by
first
          > mapping/reconciling their respective axioms.
          >
          > Because my customer started with a DOLCE-derived artifact,
our
          > ontology
          > lacks the depth and breadth of some of the larger
ontologies.

          > I claim that our work must have near-term relevance.  And
for
          > this
          > group's work to be directly relevant to my customer, we
would
          > need to
          > make sure that any creation of a lattice of theories is
focused
          > on the
          > mapping of pairs of axioms to one another - in such a way as
          > "grow"
          > larger effective ontology.
          >
          > For us, this means grafting (via mapping) subtrees of key
          > content into
          > DOLCE from other ontologies.  I'm happy to view this a part
of a
          > larger
          > n^2 everything-to-everything mapping.  I say n^2 because no
one
          > voiced
          > agreement with my proposal to agree on mapping to a single
hub
          > ontology
          > starting point.
          >
          > By making such fine-grained mappings we will be contributing
          > the
          > partial ordering of theories by mapping individual axioms to
one
          > another.  Only after such mapping, I claim, is partial
ordering
          > of
          > theories embodying differing models possible.
          >

          > Best,
          >
          > -Eric

Those