RE: [ontac-forum] More discussion and thoughts on the openness and value

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Warzel, Denise (NIH/NCI)" <warzeld@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:12:37 -0400
Hi Gary.

The 11179 standard is in the process of being vetted re:specific recommendations for the elaboration of taxonomic structures, specifically rings, hierarchies, faceted, network and flat through the description of a relationship class - Frank Olken has been workign on the proposal...some of which has been voted on and approved and will come out in the next edition.

With regard to the creation of silos, if the ontology is within the registry (XMDR/11179 or Edition 3) which is what has been proposed, then the implementation insures that there are no silos, at least within a domain specific registry like the NCI Cancer Data standards Registry (caDSR), at least everything is linked to a common ontology with the registry.  The notion of a higher level ontology is a good one...then we can go across domains...no argument there.

From our persepective, the people designing software applications 11179 regsitry users (consumers of the ontology) aren't necessarily ontology experts (is that stating the obvious?) so if you let them create 11179 data elements, objects, etc on their own, they won't necessarily come up with a sensible language that everyone, even within a domain, would agree upon nor sensible defintions, etc...(ontology bottoms up..?)

so - I think we forcefully agree with you - so we decided to enforce the use of the structured vocabularies, preference given in our registry to the NCI cancer ontololgy for all content in the caDSR...there still is the possibility that some of the other medical terminiologies we currently let users access to create content could overlap with NCI Taxonomy..its not a perfect world...(yet :-)

I had offered that we could use the NCI registry to 'register' the ontology that you guys build ...since it already has the ability to load up concepts and create other registry items using them, tools to test getting things out via API or XML downloads, tools to use the data elements on forms, etc.  IT might offer a really quick way to experiment  ...
We would need to enhance the relationship class along the lines of the coming 11179 recommentations - but we would want to do that eventually anyway...

Does that make sense?

offer still stands :-)

Denise Warzel