RE: [ontac-forum] A potential defining vocabulary for definitions

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:23:10 -0400
I think the primary point is that dictionaries may be a useful resource
for obtaining (and disambiguating) term definitions that then could be
used to help the definition of formal concepts, properties, relations,
axioms, etc., in a common spanning ontology. So grammatical variations
(and morphology) in themselves are not important, nor derivations
directly.    (01)

But, yes, the actual resources to use for this purpose should probably
be a community deliberated choice.     (02)

Note again, the dictionary would be an aid to establishing term
meaning, which then could lead to the better development of concepts,
i.e., the ontology or formal model of the meaning.    (03)

Leo    (04)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (05)