RE: [ontac-forum] Follow up question on Ontology, knowledge, languagecon

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:08:04 -0400
John,    (01)

Yes, I agree that not all of natural language semantics is captured by
model theory (formal pragmatics, discourse semantics, speech act theory
is still not fully married together). But a beginning part is.
Model-theoretic semantics does in general short-shrift lexical
semantics, but the latter is indeed expressible in model-theoretic
terms.  Eleven years ago, Jackendoff's Lexical-Conceptual Structure
framework (focused on lexical semantics) was shown to be expressible in
ordinary model-theoretic terms:     (02)

- Zwarts, J., and H. Verkuyl. 1994. An algebra of conceptual structure:
an investigation into jackendoff's conceptual semantics. Linguistics
and Philosophy 1-18.    (03)

Ad hominem bricks against Montague are not appreciated, even if by
Henry Kautz.      (04)

Montague's work largely opened the gate to formal logical,
truth-conditional semantics in natural language -- before which
semantics in NL was largely "semantic feature or marker" based, i.e.,
mentalistic and pretty ad hoc -- subsequently with folks such as Hans
Kamp, Irene Heim, Barwise & Perry, Barbara Partee, Emmon Bach, G. Link,
Manfred Krifka, etc., able to make large and extensible advances.     (05)

Not to mention the boon to computational linguistics, and the ability
to correlate NL syntax and semantics much more formally, building
largely on the categorial grammar thread (Lambek, Bar-Hillel, Moortgat,
etc.), i.e., unification grammars in the 80s/90s and linguistic
theories such as Lexical-Functional Grammar, Head-Drive Phrase
Structure Grammar, and the modern Lambek-style syntactic and semantic
calculi, lambda calculus/type theory, van Benthem's work at U.
Amsterdam, etc. The progress in NL semantics over the past 30 odd years
is largely attributable to the adoption of logical (and algebraic)
methods and model theory triggered by Montague's work.     (06)

I prefer the Barbara Partee in *The Handbook of Contemporary Semantic
Theory, Lappin, ed., Blackwell, 1996, Ch. 1, The Development of Formal
Semantics in Linguistic Theory, and her related paper (with Herman
Hendriks), Ch. 1, Montague Grammar, in The Handbook of Logic and
Language, van Benthem and ter Meulen, MIT Press, 1997. But even your
quotation displays Partee's obviously valued employment of model
theory: and it has nothing to do with her marriage to a lexical
semanticist, John, another ad hominem appeal I find offensive; she has
been a dispassionate scholar throughout her career and takes care to
avoid pontificating or faith-based pigeon-holing, especially where the
faith is model-theory. It's a good, strong, useful tool, and better
than we used to have.    (07)

Model-theory is not just about consistency. It's about entailment
relations, and a host of other notions: how to compare two structures,
what is the nature of the relationship between a set of symbols and the
interpretation of those symbols? To me, model theory is just logic
meets algebra. What structures are useful for expressing semantic
notions? From the perspective of NL semantics, see Landman, Fred.
1991.  Structures for Semantics.  Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic. This is
why personally, for example, I'm also interested in category theory:
structures and relationships to express meaning. The IFF (Information
Flow Framework) meta-ontology candidate of Bob Kent and Marco
Schorlemmer sof the IEEE SUO (Standard Upper Ontology:
http://suo.ieee.org/IFF/) is an attempt to use category theory for
inter-ontology mapping.    (08)

By the way, not all formal semanticists of NL are primarily
model-theoretic. The so called T-theory Davidsonians like **Larson &
Segal, 1995, Higgenbotham, 1990, etc. are not. Typically the latter are
associated with Chomsky-style linguistic theory, i.e., focusing on
syntax and strong psychological realism.    (09)

John, I'm afraid you sometimes tend to obliterate necessary and
under-appreciated distinctions in your rhetorical quest to make
particular points. I happen to mostly agree with many of your points
and appreciate the fine mind that drives them, but your statements can
be very misleading to those who don't necessarily have the formal
background to understand or evaluate either their truth or their
potential significance for the technologies, approaches, etc., that
they address or have impact on.    (010)

Ontology folks who may only have peripheral notions about natural
language semantics may tend to latch onto your slogans and rhetorical
points and be led astray. That is my fear, as it is my fear that my own
pronouncements may lead them astray. It is a technically complicated
method and agenda we pursue, and one that we are passionate about, but
we owe to all clarity, precision, honesty, and our best counsel.    (011)

Thanks,
Leo    (012)

* Obrst, L. 1997. Review of Handbook of Contemporary Semantic Theory,
Shalom Lappin, ed., Oxford and Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Publishers,
1995. Language, Linguistics Society of America, 1997.
** Obrst, L. 1996. Draft review of Knowledge of Meaning by Richard
Larson & Gabriel Segal, MIT Press, 1995. Natural Language Engineering,
1996.    (013)