[ontac-forum] First meeting of ONTACWG, October 5, 2005 McLean VA

To: <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy,Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:05:46 -0400
To: ONTACWG members
From: Patrick Cassidy
Subject:  First Meeting (Organizational)
Notice Date: September 13, 2005
Meeting date: October 5, 2005 (Wednesday)    (01)

I have tentatively booked a room for the first meeting of the ONTACWG
in McLean Virginia on Wednesday October 5th 2005.  The room is reserved
for all day, and I am looking now for suggestions as to:
 (1)  what kind of meeting might be most useful to the ONTACWG group.
 (2)  what should be on the agenda?
 (3)  would anyone want to give any presentations?
 (4) what kind of discussion would be useful after the formal
presentations?  general discussion? break-out groups?
 (5) what kind of general announcement might be most appropriate for
this working group? (see draft attached)    (02)

  One possibility is to have the morning for presentations and the
afternoon for general discussion or breakout groups (though we are
confined to one room).  I  plan to talk about what I think can be
accomplished by a working group of this type.  Others may wish to speak
about related topics, which could include (but are not limited to):
*       What Knowledge Classification System (KCS, e.g.
taxonomy/thesaurus/ontology) they have built, for what purpose it was
designed, what is the content, and how it is being used (perhaps 10
minutes would be enough for an introduction, as there may be more than
a few who are willing to discuss their KCSs));
*       Suggestions for methods to map domain taxonomies to each other
directly;
*       Suggestions for methods to map domain KCSs to a Common Semantic
Model
*       Suggestions for the content or a methodology for developing a
Common Semantic Model (upper ontology/interlingua/lattice of
ontologies); e.g.
        o       adopt an existing upper ontology and modify it?
        o       select components from multiple upper ontologies and
utility ontologies?
*       What utilities can be used to convert different representation
formats to each other
*       How a coordinating working group could assist developers or
users of such systems;
*       What committee structure or methods might help achieve any of
the goals of participants.    (03)

Ideally, any talks will be made available on-line at the ONTACWG  site
before the meeting or when the meeting starts.  Also, information on
any topic, including those above, can be posted to the group data site
(you will have to send the files to me so I can upload them):
        http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/ontac/reference/    (04)

 . . . or to the group Wiki:
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG/Po
interPage    (05)

(you need to create an account to be able to edit the Wiki - see the
top right of the page).    (06)

These folders provide a mechanism to share resources specifically
related to the KCSs that the participants are working on, or believe
would be useful.  At the organizing meeting on October 5th we can
discuss what other mechanisms might be useful.    (07)

This note is being sent only to those who are already signed up for the
ONTACWG mailing list.  I  will send a different version to several
public fora and discussion lists, and have attached a draft of that
note for your comments.  Any and all comments will be appreciated.    (08)

The general objective of this working group is to help participants to
develop Knowledge Classification Systems, and to relate them
conceptually to each other.  The methods are wide open to discussion,
and I hope that some of you will provide suggestions for how to achieve
these goals.    (09)

  Pat    (010)

ONTACWG home page:
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (011)