[ontac-forum] Weekly Note

To: <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:59:57 -0400
To ONTACWG members --    (01)

WeeklyNote051405    (02)

This is the first of what I hope will be a series of (approximately) weekly
notes to the ONTACWG general forum mailing list reporting ONTACWG activity
within each week.    (03)

For the week ending 2005-05-14:    (04)

Take-away note:  the current phase is to contact individuals who are
involved in building or using knowledge classification systems within the
Federal Government.  Send me any contact information you have on any such
project.    (05)

(1) Peter Yim, with the help of Susan Turnbull, has set up the ONTACWG site,
which includes 3 mailing lists and a file folder for shared resources.   Pat
Cassidy (pcassidy (at) mitre.org) will manage the site content, and has been
trying to learn how to do that, with Peter's generous assistance.
Individual members can create or modify Wiki pages.  The home page (a Wiki
page), with pointers to all available ONTACWG information, is at:    (06)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (07)

(2) Logging in to edit a Wiki page
      At present, the "login" button viewable at the top right of the home
page, under the Statue of Liberty image, does not function.  To edit this
and other Wiki pages, one needs to create an account by clicking the "create
account" under the statue of liberty, fill in a user name and password, and
enter the letters (all lower-case) and numbers that appear in the image to
confirm that you are not a bot.  In the image the "i", "j" and "1" can
sometimes be hard to distinguish (the vertical bar is usually a "1"), so if
you get an image you can't interpret,  just press the refresh button on that
"create account" page to get a new image to interpret.  If you don't
explicitly log out, the cookie created (cookies need to be enabled) should
allow you to bring up the page next time as though you are logged in.   You
know you are logged in if your username appears to the left  of the
parenthesis under the statue of liberty, and inside the parenthesis "logout"
is present.  If you are not logged in, create a new account - the name and
password don't matter.
      As is usual with the Wiki, the page can be edited by clicking on "edit
text of this page" at the bottom of the page.    (08)

(3)  Contacting potential members
    I have begin contacting individuals involved in building some of the
taxonomies used within the Federal Government.  I would wait before sending
out an announcement of this working group to broad lists, until I have made
contact with managers of most of the larger knowledge classifications used
within the government.  I am waiting for responses from some who manage DoD
taxonomies, but have not yet contacted anyone managing the EPA, NCI,  NIH,
NIST, or NASA classifications, or the FEA-RMO.  Suggestions for contacts for
any government ontology, taxonomy, or thesaurus will be useful, and probably
not redundant.    (09)

(4) Membership information
     At present, there are only a few members on the ONTAC-forum mailing
list other than the original conveners.  I will try to set up a
member-information page that will point to individual member profiles, which
can be maintained by the members and contain any information they want to
make public that is relevant to this project.  This hasn't been done yet.    (010)

(5)  This is the first  non-test note to the list.  You may start posting
any thoughts you have that you think will be useful or informative.    (011)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way
Eatontown, NJ 07724