geo-forum

[geo-forum] Re: EPA STORET Pilot??

To: geo-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julia Harrell <julia.harrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 17:55:10 -0400
Raj,    (01)

The WQX schema and Exchange Node data flow is already undergoing pilot
development and implementation with several states. It would be very
convenient for our project if NC was one of these, but alas, we're not
in either the pahse 1 pilot group or the 2nd phase (Bio/Hab) which will
get started in late 06/early 07. We will continue to ecourage our DWQ
group to adopt and participate in this particular EPA Node data flow
once it becomes finalized, but unfortunately that would happen too late
for our FEAGeoProfile project.    (02)

http://www.exchangenetwork.net/exchanges/water/owwqx.htm
http://iaspub.epa.gov/emg/portal.navigate_det?P_DATA_IDENTIFIER=97856    (03)

It looks as if this is one of the new Node data flows that has opted for
the attachment of binary objects to store GIS data instead of using GML.
The also have a separate, non-GML geospatial location element in their
schema. If nothing else, it could be good to discover what technical
challenges or business needs drove them to the decision to cobble
geospatial together like this rather than to use GML and save the binary
attachments for the digital photos, or other miscellaneous digital stuff
that can be related to each monitoring location.    (04)

Based on these XSDs (cursory glance only at this point), it appears as
if they are only concerned with point locations for WQX, and using GML
to represent point locations rather than plain XML does not seem like it
should be that much extra overhead. I know there's interest in being
able to define linear and polygonal objects for use in the Node, but I
do not know if monitoring locations would ever be identified as anything
other than a point object.    (05)

http://www.exchangenetwork.net/registry/test/OWWQX_MonitoringLocation_v1.0.xsd
http://www.exchangenetwork.net/registry/test/OWWQX_MonitoringLocationGeospatial_v1.0.xsd
http://www.exchangenetwork.net/registry/test/OWWQX_MonitoringLocationIdentity_v1.0.xsd