geo-forum

[geo-forum] EPA STORET Pilot??

To: GEA COP WG <geo-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Raj Singh <rsingh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:45:11 -0400
I think this was mentioned last year, but it seems worth revisiting. There
may be a good connection between our pilot and the evolution of water
quality data. I read the summary below as an effort that's strong on data
modeling but less advanced on the services.  I'm sure some of you on this
list know more about this than me, so I look forward to comments.    (01)

"WQX is a future production water quality data flow that will facilitate
water quality data submission and exchange between EPA and its data
partners.    (02)

WQX consists of standard data formats for sharing data with EPA, a
centralized national database, and enhancement of the existing STORET/WQX
Data Warehouse, where information is accessed using the internet.    (03)

The WQX formats are a set of standard 'schema' using Extensible Markup
Language (XML) to provide various classes of data.    (04)

The evolution of STORET to WQX will bring the system in line with the
Agency's Enterprise Architecture approach and will take advantage of new
technologies. The Enterprise Architecture defines an overall plan for the
development of information technology in order to maximize coordination of
EPA's investments. An important part of the architecture is that data should
be sent to EPA using a national data Exchange Network and EPA's Central Data
Exchange (CDX). CDX then moves the data to various databases. The evolution
to WQX will bring the STORET system in line with this approach. It will also
transition the system to the use of EPA's Environmental Sampling, Analysis,
and Results (ESAR) standard, which gives consistent names and definitions to
common data elements that are used across the Agency.    (05)

WQX will also adopt the use of Extensible Markup Language (XML) for
transferring data. The use of this relatively new technology for data
sharing will simplify the transfer of data by providing a standard structure
that can be checked for completeness."    (06)

From: http://www.epa.gov/storet/future_storet.html    (07)

--
Raj Singh
Director Interoperability Programs

---The OGC: Helping the World Communicate Geographically---    (09)