etkn-forum

Re: [etkn-forum] FW: 1st Draft and Original Invitation

To: "'Eastern Transportation Knowledge Network'" <etkn-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Alison Kemp" <akemp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:53:20 -0400
I created a mash-up of all the recommendations and various drafts for the
ETKN e-mail invite:    (01)

We would like to extend an invitation for you to join the Eastern
Transportation Knowledge Network (ETKN). Our members have identified you and
your organization as important players in our region.     (02)

ETKN is a network of transportation libraries and information service
providers located at state Departments of Transportation (DOTs),
universities, associations and other transportation agencies in the Eastern
U.S. By collaborating as members of a network, our vision is to increase the
availability of our holdings, reduce operating costs, and leverage group
access to transportation knowledge and information needed by our patrons.    (03)

ETKN was created to support our transportation infrastructure.  It is
especially important now to preserve and access this crucial information as
the nation currently invests in our bridges, highways, transit and airports.
As you may be aware, a series of high-level initiatives over the past five
years has resulted in increased interest in the potential of transportation
libraries to improve research, business practices and day-to-day decision
making by practitioners.     (04)

Meetings are held bi-monthly by telephone. We have found success in
gathering information and coordinating with fellow members, other regional
knowledge networks and the National Transportation Library, all of whom are
invited to join in our meetings. By collaborating as members of a network,
we have enhanced our access to specialized information, and increased the
value and quality of our services.       (05)

We believe membership will result in increased visibility and support for
your organization.  Membership is free of charge. Our website, www.etkn.org,
outlines the criteria for each level of membership:    (06)

.       Full Member - Any entity with an organized collection of
transportation-related documents and staff to access and share said
collection, and located within AASHTO Regions 1 and 2.  Full members shall
have full voting status.    (07)

.       Affiliate Member - Any entity with a substantial stake in the
transportation community, with or without an organized collection, located
within AASHTO Regions 1 and 2.      (08)

.       Friends - Anyone interested in observing the developments and
initiatives of the ETKN in order to further the development of their
transportation-related organization located within AASHTO Regions 1 and 2.     (09)

While affiliates and friends do not have voting rights, they are encouraged
to participate in discussions, attend meetings, and communicate and
collaborate with other members of the network.    (010)

If you have any questions, contact membership chair Carol Paszamant at
(609)-530-5289 or Carol.Paszamant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  or any of the other
officers listed at www.etkn.org.    (011)

Sincerely,    (012)

Chair,
Eastern Transportation Knowledge Network    (013)

Alison Kemp, MLS
www.nationalrtap.org
888-589-6821    (014)