etkn-forum

[etkn-forum] Welcome to the ETKN!

To: "Shofner, Pamela" <Pamela.Shofner@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: etkn-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Winter, Kenneth A." <Ken.Winter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:12:02 -0500

Pamela-

Great talking to you this afternoon and on behalf of all ETKN members, we welcome you and Maine DOT!

More About the ETKN
I am attaching a few documents to this e-mail.  Soon this information will be available on the ETKN web site, under construction now.  The first item is our bylaws, the second is our guiding principles, and the third is a simple fact sheet, which now lists your library as member.  Please take a look at the first two and let me know if you have any questions, and the third to ensure I have your contact information listed accurately.

<<ETKN Bylaws_6-11-08.pdf>> <<ETKN Guiding Principles_6-11-08.pdf>> <<ETKN Fact Sheet 12-4-08.pdf>>

These are tough economic times, and bound to get harder before they get easier, so I hope you will communicate the value of your librarys participation in ETKN to your management in the normal course of justifying your librarys value to Maine DOT, and your value to the library itself.

There is a great deal of indirect value to being a part of ETKN, and since there is no cost or obligation to you or your agency, there is no risk.  But there is also a great deal of direct value to your patrons.

TKN Resource Sharing Pilot Project
Because your library is now an ETKN member, you have full access to the TKN pilot project for library resource sharing that we discussed.  In a nutshell, that project encourages you to request interlibrary loans for your patrons from any other TKN library (and to offer your holdings in exchange), and your agency will not have to pay any shipping or receiving charges for items sent or received.  In a moment I will forward a FedX shipping account number you can use for that purpose.

Collectively, the holdings of the TKN libraries involved in this projects equals over a million itemsseveral million if you include individual articles from periodicals.  This project will continue 6 months or until the money in the shipping account ($15,000, I believe) is exhausted.

I would strongly encourage you to participate!  You dont need to file a request through OCLC, and there is no limit to how much you can request.  In fact, Id like to extend a personal invitation for you to request loans from our collection.  Our holdings are visible in Worldcat.org and here: http://69.63.217.27/V92004Staff/OPAC/

A quick way to search multiple TKN participant libraries is to use this site: http://ntl.bts.gov/exit/vdot.html

For complete information about this program, go here: http://ntl.bts.gov/networking/TKN_ILL_Guidelines.html

Please use this form to track your statistics: http://ntl.bts.gov/networking/TKN_ILL_Metrics_Tracking_Log.xls

Please submit to: petrina.collier@xxxxxxx.

Questions?  Contact Amanda Wilson at amanda.wilson@xxxxxxx.

Next ETKN Conference Call

Also, as I noted, wed love to have you sit in (even if you just want to listen) to the next ETKN Conference call.  It is from 10:00 to 11:00 Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, December 11, 2008.  Each participant will need to call the following number.  This number recently changed.  The new number is: 1-218-486-8700 (Minnesota) and participants will need to enter the following access code: 20590

Thanks and have a great day!

Ken Winter, MLIS
Director of Library and Information Services
VDOT Research Library
530 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903
Ph: (434) 293-1959 FAX: (434) 293-4196
Email:
Ken.Winter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Intranet: