drm-public

[drm-public] Questions about DRM

To: <drm-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Winchel 'Todd' Vincent III" <Todd.Vincent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:40:51 -0400
Hello:

I have been participating in the XML.Gov XML Naming and Design Rules mailing list.  Recently, there were some posts about the DRM.  I have reviewed the DRM and have few questions.

1. I notice that the DRM imports RDF and the Dublin Core.  I am wondering why the decision was made to extend RDF and the Dublin Core with a wrapper schema -- the DRM.  Why not simply use RDF?   Why not OWL?  I'm not saying this is a bad decision. I'm simply wondering why the decision was made so I can form an opinion.

2. It seems to me that the DRM can be used to collect (and/or publish) "data dictionary" information from agencies.  Is this the intended use?

3. If DRM is meant to collect (and/or publish) "data dictionary" information from agencies, does NIEM also intend to publish schemas based on this data dictionary information?  If so, are the schemas going to look anything like GJXDM?

Any help answering these questions would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Todd

Winchel "Todd" Vincent III
<xmlLegal>