cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] Completed exchange with Jim Hnedler

To: common upper ontology working group <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Conklin, Don" <don.conklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:21:43 -0700
+2     (01)

Technology transition is so broken in DoD that it is amazing that R&D
funding hasn't been threatened by the lack of transition.     (02)

I do agree with Jim Hendler that we are at the point where this
technology needs to be taken seriously and that means a large scale
deployment with adequate (I would never be so naive as to hope for
robust) funding. A lot of problems will be found and fixed in the
process. I do not know of any acquisition agency fond of such a
challenge as they are risk adverse by nature. We have to offer a
solution with low enough perceived risk to these organizations and high
enough benefit that they might actually pay for it. And we'd better
succeed right out of the gate as there will be no second chance.     (03)

Don Conklin
Lockheed Martin IS&S
7021 Harbour View Blvd, Suite 105
Suffolk, VA 23435