cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] Technical maturity of Semantic Web approach to Data Interop

To: common upper ontology working group <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Doug Holmes <dholmes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:52:27 -0800
Jim,
        It will be found to be "ready" when it has been done by someone
and it is in common use.  Had the world waited for for "technical
maturity" in, for example, aviation, we wouldn't have the fun of
waiting in lines to go through security screening - we'd simply get
on the [theoretically "mature"] train and get where we wanted to go
the day after tomorrow. There really is no orderly process for
technology transfer from research to "best practice" and it is not
clear that there should be one.  If someone wants to "approach data
interoperability" in this fashion, its an engineering problem.  Go do
it; solve the problems and make it work.
Doug    (01)

On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6 wrote:    (02)