cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] The next key question

To: "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:59:35 -0500
Jim, All --

It's good to see Pat Hayes contributing to this discussion.  He has made many key contributions to logic, knowledge representation and reasoning, and so is in a good position to clarify the sometimes rather obscure aspects of current "semantic web"  work.

However, one could argue that what Pat says about URI naming is correct as far as it goes, but that it's only a first step towards putting "semantics" to work in the kind of military planning use case that Jim has in mind.  (I'm guessing that Pat would agree.)

If we take URI+RDF+OWL+ontologies as the current state of the "semantics" art, it's something like saying that we have four wheels, and some tires, and we know how to put the tires on the wheels, so this looks very promising for constructing a car.  It's a necessary step, but far  from sufficient.

In real world software, URI+RDF+OWL+ontologies can be part of a system, but other parts of the system will add interpretation of meaning.  Applications will compute over URI+RDF+OWL+ontologies and come up with things like a military plan of action.  In doing so, applications will 'understand'  the content in their own way, and they will present the results to a human in a way that the human will also 'understand'.

So, there are two further kinds of semantics that are needed in a system that will be reliably useful.  If URI+RDF+OWL+ontologies is Semantics1, then we also need

     * Semantics2   how applications should understand, interpret and compute with Semantics1 and other data

     * Semantics3   the English meaning of logical concepts at the author and user interface

With a combined approach to Semantics1, 2, and 3, we  can get close to the sufficient conditions for building our semantic 'car'.

It seems to be generally agreed that Semantics2 is being addressed by choosing a logical model theory for rules systems that will reason on the web -- this is work in progress in the rules interchange working group at W3C.  I'd favor the Semantics2 in [1], but the important thing is to at least converge on an agreement about what consequences it should in principle be possible draw from any collection of rules and facts.

I know of only two places where Semantics3 is being seriously addressed for practical use outside the research lab.  One is in 'controlled English' work [2], and the other is in the open vocabulary executable English system [3] that my company has placed online.

The only place I know that Semantics1, 2, and 3 are being made to work together is in [3].  Without an overall design, we are just in the situation of separately designing wheels, engines, and brakes, with a vague hope that they will one day fit together to make a useful semantic car.

                                                            Cheers,  -- Adrian

Adrian Walker
Reengineering
Phone: 860 830 2085

[1]  Backchain Iteration: Towards a Practical Inference Method that is Simple Enough to be Proved Terminating, Sound and Complete.  Journal of Automated Reasoning, 11:1-22

[2]  www.ifi.unizh.ch/attempto/publications/papers/FLAIRS0601FuchsN.pdf

[3]  Internet Business Logic. A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English .
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com   .   Shared use is free