cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] How would you rate these semantic technologies?Conf erence

To: "'common upper ontology working group'" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:49:31 -0500
 Patrick,    (01)

1. I agree and incorporated your heading 'Cross-Domain (Many-to-Many) Mapping
Does Not Scale,' but I did add brackets.    (02)

2. Many voiced a lower rating for OWL.  I split it as follows:    (03)

        OWL Language    8
        OWL Tools               6    (04)

3. I agree the phrase 'Current Technology' in the title is not fully clear, but
the paper explains it.  I feel the title should be short, even if not totally
clear.     (05)

4. I'm not sure if I agree with your proposed paragraph heading, "Developing
Large Non-modular Domains Does Not Scale."  This seems to indicate domain
models can be scaled to any size as long as they are modular.  Are you refering
to Cyc, with its micro-theories?   Could an enerprise as large as DoD or the
U.S. Federal Government use this approach?  Perhaps they could develop an upper
enterprise ontology, but then this looks like the same thing the paper
addresses with an upper ontology.  But also, no matter how large a domain gets,
it still can't interoperate with external systems.      (06)

The problem this paragraph attempts to address is that some large domains are
being developed in places like DOD, but the stakeholders may not realize it
gets very hard to develop a large domain model, and it still only helps with
applications that communicate only internal to the domain.  It can only scale
so far.    (07)

Jim Schoening    (08)