cuo-wg
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [cuo-wg] An Evolved Approach to CDSI / Executable English

To: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>, "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:21:25 -0500
Message-id: <DC92506CBE953D44A0EF52095965E835010DAF23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Adrian,

Thanks for the initial response on the broad issue of comparing EE and CLCE. However, I believe you are mistaken about two out of three of the differences you cite. Recursion and aggregation are easily defined in First Order Logic (FOL) axioms. So, they should be well supported by CL and CLCE.

I think you’re right about closed world negation, though. I consider this a shortcoming of Common Logic (CL).  More generally I’ve heard that CL has no explicit support for nonmonotonic (or default) reasoning, which I take to limit its utility in modeling commonsense information and reasoning. But, CL  does have some “context” mechanisms that may help with that. And, it has true (open world) negation (as you observe), which seems useful in any semantically rich environment. Although closed world negation by failure works fine in many database environments, it is more problematic in more expressive contexts (e.g., FOL) where rules or axioms admit of a never-ending search for a failure to prove a conclusion.  Even if it doesn’t take forever to prove some negation by failure, the compute cycles wasted can be considerable, which seems a practical reason for including true negation in semantically rich information systems.

There is also, of course, the oft-cited reason for supporting true negation in the Semantic Web: when dealing in an “open” system like the web – you cannot assume that something is false simply because you can’t prove that its true, and you do want to distinguish between merely being unprovable and actually being false.

While I look forward to learning more about the strengths and weaknesses of EE (especially for constructs like propositional attitudes, tense, temporal constraints, causal relations, and quantifying into modal contexts), it is probably best to take this off-list as you suggest. It seems that this group wants to stay more focused on higher-level issues of conceptual reconciliation/translation/communication between multiple systems based on different domain ontologies than on the specifics of which ontology languages (and language features) are best for promoting such interoperability.

Brian

4850 Mark Center Drive                       Fax: (703) 845-6848
Alexandria, VA 22311-1882                    Email: bhaugh@xxxxxxx

Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 11:45 AM
To: Haugh, Brian; common upper ontology working group; Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6
Subject: Re: [cuo-wg] An Evolved Approach to CDSI / Executable English

Hi Brian --

Many thanks for your note.

You wrote...

...using natural language to communicate with the users/SMEs certainly seems essential. Previously, this has been accomplished via conversation between the techie modelers and the SMEs. But, restricted  [emphasis added]  English interfaces, like yours and others, offer the promise of more direct and less ambiguous communication between SMEs and the formal information model/ontology tools.

Agreed, English interfaces offer a lot of promise.   However, the Executable English interface supported by the Internet Business Logic system [1] is actually an  unrestricted one.   The technology is different from that of CLCE [2] and similar systems.  The vocabulary in [1] is open, and so -- to a very large extent -- is the syntax.  There is no need for external dictionary or grammar construction or maintenance, yet the English semantics are strict.  Since English is at best a moving target, this approach has many practical advantages.  For example, it is not necessary to train authors or users to use a restricted subset of English.

In [1], the unrestricted vocabulary and largely open syntax, together with strict English semantics, is supported via a trade off.  The idea is to keep the natural language component as simple as possible, while supporting  SMEs and end users as they write executable content  into a browser, using their own words and phrases.  I'll be glad to discuss off-list how this works.  Hopefully, folks who would like to evaluate whether the trade off is useful for their purposes will go hands on on the system to see for themselves that it works.

You wrote also...

I've been wondering if you have done a comparison of your Executable English compared to the Common Logic Controlled English (CLCE) form, especially with respect to expressive power, where CLCE seems quite strong.

Yes.  Here's an informal comparison.

Since CLCE [2] maps to FOL, I believe it lacks:

A.  Recursion    (needed for reasoning over hierarchies -- e.g. transitive over [3]),

B.  Aggregation     (find the rolled up available funding from all departments [4]) 
                                 (find the total oil supply available [5])

C.  Closed world negation    (if Adrian is not in the list of employees of IDA, then Adrian does not work for IDA).

[1] supports these.  It also supports English explanations of reasoning that involves A, B, and C.

CLCE [2] supports open world negation, which is currently considered to be advantageous for the Semantic Web.  However, in practice, most databases are used via closed world negation. 

[1] does not support open world negation, but could be extended to do so, if a really strong practical motivating example could be found.

I hope this is helpful, and not too much technical detail.   Do you think there is any way of boiling this kind of discussion down so that it  would be of interest to Jim for the paper?

Thanks,  -- Adrian

[1]  Internet Business Logic, online at www.reengineeringllc.com.  Shared use is free.

[2]  Common Logic Controlled English (CLCE).  http://www.jfsowa.com/clce/specs.htm
[3]  www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/TransitiveOver1.agent

[4]  www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/FundManagement1.agent

[5]  www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/Oil-IndustrySupplyChain1Sqlmysql.agent

Community Portal: http://colab.cim3.net/
Shared Files: http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/cuo-wg/
Community Wiki: 
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/CommonUpperOntologyWG    (01)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>