cuo-wg

[cuo-wg] Use Case

To: cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "James R. Schoening" <jim.s3@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 23:38:55 -0500
Brad,

        Good suggestion, to develop a use case, which you posted as:

> Use Case:
> A officer on the battlefield learns of an entirely new source for
> weather data. He is tasked to integrate that data with existing data sources
> to prepare tomorrow's battle plan.
        I suggest this Use Case asks for too little. Wikipedia defines Semantic Interoperability as "ability of two or more computer systems to exchange information and have the meaning of that information accurately and automatically interpreted by the receiving system."    If we had standard syntax today, humans could interpret the meaning of new data sources.  I suggest the Use Case should require computers to interpret data from new sources without human help.

        Also, the DoD Net Centric calls for "unanticipated" computer use of data.

        Here's a suggested mod to your Use Case:

"A officer on the battlefield is directed to immediately halt one course of action and pursue another objective, which had not be anticipated and for which there is no battle plan.   He immediately issues a halt to current actions and has 15 minutes to issue new preliminary orders.  He spends 5 minutes plugging in new parameters and expects his computers to access thousands of data sources (many of them unanticipated sources found through searches) and return 3 scenarios in 5 minutes, giving him 5 minutes to make the decision.  Of the hundreds of agents activated, one will search for weather data from all sources it can find and understand, and process it against other data being gathered."

Jim Schoening