cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] Additional "upper ontology" to consider

To: "'common upper ontology working group'" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 00:20:21 -0500
James,
My understanding of the lattice of theories is that it is a modular approach
to upper and reference ontologies, much like the cyc micro-theories.  Some
kind of contextual modularity in/of the theories like this will, IMHO, be
required to support DCSI.   The set of theories in the "reference" lattice
for our purposes would, I think, be a managed set and thus not grow out of
bounds or have any more N**2 problems than any other large ontology - not
all the theories need be connected.  What is the alternative - one
monolithic theory?    (01)

In fact, we may want to divide the candidate space into; (1) The logic, (2)
The concept set (E.G. upper ontology), (3) the modularity/context mechanism.
Some of the candidates would cover all 3 (like cyc).  We may end up with
more than one in each slot.    (02)

My bias here (discussed on this list a few months ago) is that context is
the key missing ingredient to DCSI and perhaps to successfully integrating
upper & reference ontologies.  I don't know for sure that the John Sowa
lattice approach is exactly the right one, but it certainly seems to be on
the right track and John has done a lot of thinking about the problem.  So
yes, it should probably be considered as a candidate.    (03)

I know there is also the topic map camp that claims to address context &
modularity - an area I have intended to look into more.  So many theories,
so little time.      (04)

In fairness I should also add that I am not an expert in formal systems, I
am looking for a solution to  integration of architectures (my special way
of saying DCSI) - I have come to this group to learn about what may be
available from the semantic technologies to help and add what I can.    (05)

Regards,
Cory Casanave    (06)