sof-forum

Re: [sof-forum] SOF WorkGroup Call - Today at 11:00am

To: "A-136 SOF WorkGroup" <sof-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "George, Cindy I." <Cindy_I._George@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:02:39 -0400
Don has asked me what OMB's position is on the SOF. The following excerpt is part of meeting minutes from the task force set up to support smarter accountability.

Joint CFOC/PCIE Task Force’s “Smarter, Stronger, and Sustainable Accountability” Project

This project is headed by OMB Controller and Deputy Controller and includes representatives from the CFO and PCIE community to address concerns about the burden of financial reporting and the lack of information for decision-making by agencies, Congress, the public, etc.

There is an agreement among the task force members to focus on reducing the financial reporting “footprint” to “free up” resources used to enhance the production of better cost information for management decision-making.   It has been discussed that as the weight of the financial reporting side of the scale is reduced, more resources can be devoted to the information decision-making side to balance the scale.  Members have discussed several areas to focus on in reducing the financial reporting “footprint”.  One of these areas is eliminating the Statement of Financing as a basic statement by placing the budget-proprietary reconciliation in OAI (thereby reducing audit scrutiny).  The members feel that this will make the production of the SOF cheaper, faster while meeting the goal of budgetary and financial reconciliation.

Cindy

Cindy I. George
Executive Office of the President/OMB
Office of Federal Financial Management