soa-forum

Re: [soa-forum] Fw: Re: Draft Recommendations

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:48:06 -0400
Rex,

re the REST/SOAP debate, I'd suggest you take a look at the workshop report (http://www.w3.org/2007/04/wsec_report) for the W3C workshop on the Web of Services for Enterprise Computing.  The overwhelming conclusions are that neither REST nor SOAP is going away, each has strengths and limitations, and our challenge is to stop arguing and make the sucker work.  This has as much to do (if not more) with cleaning up the current pieces rather than pushing forward for more pieces.  The report has some specifics.

I was one of the co-chairs of the workshop and I presented an early summary (but one that turned out to be 99% on target) at the last SOA eGov Conference.  The workshop report has been issued since then.

Ken