soa-forum

Re: [soa-forum] Invitation to April 17 Expedition wrkshp at NSF: Achievi

To: "Melanie Nutter" <melanie.nutter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linda.ibrahim@xxxxxxx, "Dennis L. Thomas" <dlthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, diane_reeves@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:36:34 -0700
regarding this month's workshop, I would like to have posted in the
soa-forum my comments about the agenda; and the timeliness of this.    (01)

Workshop Purpose:
> How can we achieve value and improve performance across the Federal
> enterprise? This workshop intends to identify obstacles that potentially
> hinder the Government from improving, and conduct a collaborative search
> for ways to overcome obstructions and deal with these tough issues.    We
> have identified four major areas for discussion at this first Enterprise
> Process Improvement Community of Practice (EPIC) workshop:
> 1) Process Enterprise : How can we encourage Government to recognize the
> value of describing, managing, and improving the processes we perform to
> achieve our mission? How can we ensure that our business processes are
> aligned to achieve organizational goals?
> 2 ) Best Practice and Standards : How can we efficiently and effectively
> incorporate standards-based best practices in the work that we do every
> day? What value do international and national standards provide to the
> Government?
> 3)  Management, Change, and Culture : How can we promote process
> improvement with executives, business partners, and organizational
> managers? Who is responsible for process improvement and enterprise
> architecture? Is it beyond the CIO? How can we motivate the Government to
> change?
> 4)  Process Improvement and Enterprise Architecture : How are these
> related? How can they be coordinated? How can we ensure "best practices"
> are used in "to-be" processes? Can we tie process improvement to the FEA
> Framework?    (02)

see also the CIO Council wiki page    (03)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ExpeditionWorkshop/Achieving_High_Ente
rprise_Performance_By_Connecting_ProcessImprovement_KM_And_EA    (04)

All of these issues are old issues, but presented in a refreshing way.    (05)

The change of culture is the most difficult issue simply due to the power of
the status quo - that status quo stability having received actually in the
trillions of dollars from the federal government to support the IT
industry... and in some small ways to make information technology the
business opportunity that it has become.    (06)

Linking process models to existing enterprise architecture may merely
strengthen the hold that improper and measurably unsuccessful IT systems
have.  One has to be careful to point out that the social value of IT comes
with a hidden cost.  Is the federal government funding the very paradigms
that is causing the data -non-interoperability problem as well as the very
expensive IT procurement process?    (07)

The point of view that I have developed has largely been informed by the
history of the 60 monthly meetings that Susan Turnbull has hosted in the
executive offices of NSF, under the over sight of GSA.    (08)

This point of view is presented in the Resilience Project White Paper, which
readers may review at:    (09)

http://www.ontologystream.com/beads/nationalDebate/ResilienceProjectWhitePap
er.htm    (010)

A solution to the cultural change problem is proposed in the White Paper.    (011)

Paul S Prueitt, PhD (mathematics and quantum cognitive neuroscience)
founder:  www.secondschool.net and www.ontologystream.com
505-613-2108    (012)