soa-forum

[soa-forum] FW: [sicop-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: "Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice" <sicop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 16:52:16 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul S Prueitt [mailto:psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 4:49 PM
To: bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Susan. Turnbull; Paul Werbos; Niemann. Brand; 'Alan Ruttenberg';
soa-ontology@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [soa-forum] [sicop-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology    (01)

Brad Cox's comments along with Chris Harding's summarization of a discussion
about SOA and ontology is copied below.    (02)

Brad's comment about silence not meaning agreement is important and on mark.
If the discussion at the CIO Council does not take on really core issues
then the process of moving forward on standards leads to one more set of
standards, temporarily justfying time and expenditures.  We have all seen
this over and over during that past ten years.    (03)

I do understand that technology issues are addressed as core issues, but
issues like ontology merge, the use of inference (as in the description
logics layer of OWL) and the (non) representation of non-business processes
are just always regarded as off topic.  In the Resilience Project
discussions, the shift of e-Gov focus in 2000 becomes critical to our
argument there.    (04)

http://www.ontologystream.com/beads/nationalDebate/ResilienceProjectWhitePap
er.htm    (05)

I and others see this ommision as odd, but we also see and accept that our
concerns are not shared by the CIO Council.  (In fact, I do not know if this
email will be posted or blocked by the list moderators.)    (06)

However, the issue of orchistration and service discovery is related to the
formation of natural category, and the ontology of this is just never
discussion here in this forum. When it is raised, the business people say
that it is off topic.    (07)

However, there is very good work being done by all parties.    (08)

I will focus my comments on the issue of transparency    (09)

http://www.bcngroup.org/beadgames/generativeMethodology/aspectsFramework.htm    (010)

We would greatly appreciate side discussions on the issues raised in this
eight page paper.    (011)

I am attaching a .doc as well as the link above.    (012)

Paul S Prueitt
505-613-2108    (013)