pgfsoa-infra

[pgfsoa-infra] Key messages

To: <pgfsoa-infra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Gunderson" <chris.gunderson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:21:26 -0500

Team,  Well, I’ve read and re-read all our inputs re: “key messages” .   There is certainly good thinking embedded… However, I believe we have to take a step back and ask what is different about our effort compared to the many white papers re: SOA we’ve all read and written.  Here’s my thinking:

  1. PGFSOA is from the Fed CIO’s Council so should represent enforceable policy.
  2. It should emphasize “practical” business case vice wonders of technology
  3. Our chapter is “infrastructure” so we should focus on shared capability

With that in mind, this is what I came up with…It’s posted in the public wiki under ContributionFive for your edits.

I think most of the comments our group has made can fit into this framework.  If you don’t like this approach, we’ll need another suggestion for binning the scatter diagram that we’ve currently got I think… Ideas? Best, Chris

Chris.Gunderson@xxxxxxxxx

703 262 5332

Key Messages Re: Practical Guide to Federal SOA Infrastructure

I would think that a “practical” guide for anything should provide simple answers to the questions: What? Why? When? Where? and How?

Bear in mind that practicality is not about technology, it’s about productivity.

Further, if this PGFSOA document is to be useful as practical policy guidance, its tenants must be objective and enforceable.

Clearly, a practical guide to (1) Federal (2) Service Oriented Architecture (3) Infrastructure, should address (1) serving the tax payer; (2) the business case for a computer network “service” model; (3) generic capability shared across communities.

With these ideas in mind, I think the key messages for the “Infrastructure” chapter of the Practical Guide to Federal Service Oriented Architecture are as follows:

What:  An Enterprise Service (Software) Bus with the following characteristics:

  • Public, not private, (intellectual) “property”

  • Collaborative, not competitive, investment and development

  • Open, not proprietary, interfaces

 Why: Decrease Cost and Increase Productivity

  • Decrease cost of information processing capability by leveraging re-use and economy of scale.

  • Increase speed to deploy information processing capability through central service deployment and upgrade.

  • Innovate through collaborative mash up.

When: Now

  • Field capability immediately and incrementally, don’t plan  a “flag day” for the “out years”

Where:  In the “White Space” Between Stovepipes

  • Address issues that cross community boundaries

How:  Continuous Community Investment in Incremental Improvement

  • Identify key business issues and establish objective measures of effectiveness.

  • Identify critical infrastructure issues -- e.g. security & interoperability, especially semantic interoperability -- and define and instantiate corresponding open standards.

  • Pool resources through a community tax.

  • Invest in a collaborative development and testing platform.  Fail fast and cheap; learn together; succeed.

  • Populate and document a dynamic library of successful reference implementations; build on top of success.

Chris Gunderson

Research Associate Professor of Information Science

Naval Postgraduate School

Principal Investigator, W2COG and Netcentric Certification Office Initiatives

(O) 703 262 5332

(C) 831 224 5182