pgfsoa-infra
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [pgfsoa-infra] SOA Infrastructure section

To: "Chris Gunderson" <cgunders@xxxxxxxxx>, "Dov J. Levy" <Dov.Levy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <RFarrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <vijay.raghavan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: pgfsoa-infra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:58:29 -0500
Message-id: <DE255AFFE9A328458D78491B8811D6CE010EB14A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
All,

You can reach me at 321 984-5653.

Thanks,
John

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 3:07 PM
To: 'Dov J. Levy'; RFarrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; vijay.raghavan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Rollins, John
Cc: pgfsoa-infra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: SOA Infrastructure section

Dov, thanks. 

Team, First some logistics? I?ve cc?d the collective email address for our group.  The Colab site (http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage)  has some nice features available if we use its tools.  We should also use the Colab site file share features to share files like Dov?s.  I?m learning the ropes and will share what I learn.  Others pls do provide insight here.

I have learned that the public wiki is quite easy to use. It is truly public, so we can all post.  I have posted an input from Brad Cox on a WikiPage  http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PgfsoaInfOutline   Our first task is to summarize key messages for our section.  I propose we use Brad?s input as the first draft and all of us add value wiki style.  Let?s see how that works and schedule any phone calls in response to progress or lack thereof on the wiki.  

Bob Farrow and I are co-leads, and he and I had a good talk. I don?t think there will be any pride of authorship issues between us.  I have been appointed overall project manager for the PGFSOA.  I?m not sure exactly how much time/effort that will require yet, but if I get swamped I?ll definitely ask for help. 

Need a volunteer to serve as principal editor and back up.  Takers?

John Rollins, we don?t have a phone number for you.  Mind sharing?  Thanks.

Regarding the specifics of Dov?s note.  Dov, I?ll call you to discuss.  I certainly agree with the need for a working ?lab? or ?factory? as a truly practical guide.  My personal agenda will be to make the Practical Guide actually practical.  I.e., focused on specific business objectives and based on working reference implementations.  In Dov?s world, that might translate to runtime comparisons of DTS vs, e.g. Travelocity etc based on business-oriented MOE?s. 

Fyi, I am traveling all next week, but will be responsive to email and calls to my cell.  Best, Chris   

Chris Gunderson

Research Associate Professor of Information Science

Naval Postgraduate School

Principal Investigator, Netcentric Certification Office and W2COG Initiatives

www.w2cog.org

(O) 703 262 5332

(C) 831 224 5182

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:51 AM
To: RFarrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Chris.Gunderson@xxxxxxxxx; bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; vijay.raghavan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; jrolli01@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SOA Infrastructure section

Hello,

Since I didn?t meet most of you, I thought that I will introduce myself.  My name is Dov Levy and I am the President of Dovèl Technologies (www.doveltech.com).  The company has been involved over the years with system such as the EDGAR system for the SEC, the Blood System for the American Red Cross, an emergency Operations System for the FDA, the Defense Travel System (DTS) for DoD.

We spent large amount of time on SOA.  It all started about 2 years ago as we wrote a technology Refresh Plan to migrate the DTS to a newer technology.  So I have an advantage that we wrote an extensive document on this subject.  Therefore, I am taking the liberty of taking short extract from the document to see if you agree

Based on my experience, there are a number of concepts that are important (I am also attaching one of our SOA briefings just to give you some insight to our angle on this).  Especially, it is important to establish a lab.  We use factory terminology so we call it ?establish a factory?, and than we say ?calibrate the factory? meaning establish all the tool, techniques, and processes and calibrate it on some prototype.  I can explain further?

Please let me know what your thoughts are and how do we want to move forward.

Thanks Dov

Dov Levy

Dovèl Technologies

Direct:  (703) 288-5305

Mobile: (301) 520-2882

www.doveltech.com

1.1      New Roles and Responsibilities

In this plan, we introduce new organizational roles and a Six Sigma management tool. SOA introduces some new roles and responsibilities. Among them are:

·        Business Process modeler

·        Governance team

Business Process Modeler: Under the SOA effort, this individual or team, with expertise in modeling business processes and workflows, will be required to model the interaction and the flow between the services using a workflow tool or business process-modeling tool. These individuals usually are considered SMEs in their domain of business and are expected to have knowledge and experience in the use of Business Process Modeling tools. Lack of expertise with tools will be addressed through training or through teaming with individuals who have this expertise.

Governance Team: This team is responsible for assuring quality and consistency of the design effort throughout all of the project phases. Usually its members are senior individuals with proven experience in managing and delivering SOA. To assure consistency in the design between the phases and among the multiple teams, personnel changes within the governance team are discouraged. The team is composed of:

·        Senior program manager

·        Senior application architect

·        Senior system architect

·        Senior security architect

·        Senior database/DW architect

All team members except the program manager are expected to have in-depth knowledge of SOA, Web services protocol, XML, and J2EE.

The figure below provides an example of the roles and the responsibilities of team members during the modeling, development, and integration efforts. 

Figure 7-1. Roles and responsibilities of the Process Modeler, Developer, and the Governance team during design time and run time

The Governance team will operate throughout the three phases. Their responsibilities include:

·        Deliver a logical and physical architecture

·        Define the Factory processes, policies, and directions

·        Resolve technical conflicts between the multiple teams

·        Maintain consistency in modeling, design, development, testing and integration throughout the entire refresh effort

·        Operate as mentors and SMEs

·        Audit deliverables to assure conformance

·        Collaborate with the Sustainment team on requirements and integration efforts

The next section further defines the governance team?s responsibilities and the governance approach.

1.2      How to Govern the SOA

SOA is an architectural style whose goal is to achieve simpler integration through reusable services. A service is a unit of work delivered by a service provider with an expected outcome to the service consumer. Services assume quality based on ?contractual agreements; design by contract? or policies.

SOA offers more flexibility compared to a traditional architecture, but at the same time it requires more loosely coupled ?moving parts?, many standards, and layers of standards (referred to as the ?SOAP Stack?).

Gartner predicts, ?Through 2006, SOA and ?designing for integration? will represent the largest single innovation that reduces the cost and increases the effectiveness of integration projects in large enterprises.? But at the same time, they also state: ?Service-oriented architectures built opportunistically with the purpose of "getting it over with" as soon as possible, and at as low a cost as possible, will prove to be a disaster for enterprises? software infrastructures.?

A key success factor in SOA is establishing SOA Governance. The SOA governance key roles and responsibilities include:

·        Define business requirements

·        Audit design

·        Manage data dictionaries

·        Define the logical and the physical architecture in their domain of expertise

·        Establishing and promoting best practices

·        Defining the mechanisms to define and enforce DTS wide policy

·        Assuring design quality and reuse

·        Enforcing design conformance

·        Conduct audit

·        Defining service level agreements and service-oriented contract agreements

The magnitude of the technology refresh initiative will make any attempt to manually govern and force conformance of some common enterprise policies and standards futile.  Hence, beyond run time governance, it is imperative to use advanced automated-based governance and conformance tools at the design stage to manage Web services and SOA.

During the design and development phase, using innovative solutions like WebLayers Centertm to govern, audit conformance, and enforce architectural and indirect business policies can prevent significant challenges during the integration efforts. Due to the complexities, wide coverage of SOA, and the use of multiple concurrent development teams, design governance that is based on automation is critical. The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) has selected WebLayers as the design time governance software system for its NCES initiative. This selection was following an industry-wide RFI that was submitted and evaluated by DISA, and a detailed technical evaluation of WebLayers Center carried out for DISA by SAIC and MITRE that resulted in a strong recommendation to select WebLayers Center.

1.3      New Management Tool

To assure tight collaboration and coordination between the multiple organizations, we plan for the Technology Refresh Project Manager and the Technology Refresh team to use a Six Sigma best practice tool called RACI (pronounced ray-see):

·        Responsibility ? People who are expected to actively participate in the activity and contribute to the best of their abilities.

·        Accountability ? The person (only one) who is ultimately responsible for the results.

·        Consultation ? People who either have a particular expertise they can contribute to specific decisions (i.e., their advice will be sought) or who must be consulted for some other reason before a final decision is made (e.g., finance is often in a consulting role for projects).

·        Inform ? People who are affected by the activity/decision and therefore need to be kept informed, but do not participate in the effort. (They are notified after the final decisions are made.)

The table breaks down between the tasks and the role that each team member is filling. It is expected that each PM or Team lead will develop, manage, and communicate the RACI to their relevant team members.

Figure 7-2. The RACI Model

This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (703)288-5300 and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof.

Shared Files: http://colab.cim3.net/work/pgfsoa/pgfsoa-infra/
Community Wiki: http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PracticalGuideToFederalSOA
Community Portal: http://colab.cim3.net/
To Post: mailto:pgfsoa-infra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (01)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Re: [pgfsoa-infra] SOA Infrastructure section, Rollins, John <=