[ontac-forum] RE: ontology, language, logic, and what we intend to do he

To: <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:27:13 -0400
[cc to semanticweb@xxxxxx dropped]    (01)

PDM,    (02)

Your comment:
"Broader perspectives, a higher understanding of the top level issues,
increased commnication flow and general improved sense of orientation
are likely to help any list ACHIEVE  any GOAL better and faster."    (03)

Unfortunately I no longer believe so. I think there are discussion
lists and there are working lists, which also have discussions. The
difference is that the latter focus their discussions on goals to be
achieved. There are also open and closed lists, depending on the
rationale for the list.    (04)

In fact, I think open-ended philosophizing doomed the IEEE SUO list and
led to a failure to achieve its goals. The list eventually was seen as
being only a forum for endless disputation by armchair philosphers, and
those with much time on their hands. The real work was done offline by
smaller groups.     (05)

I think there is definitely a need for discussion groups, but I think
there is also a need for working groups. Education, consensus building,
broader perspectives are important, but not necessarily if you want to
achieve specific goals. A given group has to define what it is and what
its goals are (if any), and its members either have to discipline
themselves to try to achieve those goals or a top-down structured
methodology must be employed (as for example, ISO, W3C, OMG, etc.,
standards groups have done).     (06)

Confusing the type of group you are is bad. Look at some of the
arguments made recently about the impossibility of a common standard
upper ontology: they cite the failure of the IEEE SUO distribution list
to come to agreement. This is a fallacious, self-fulfilling argument,
to me, because endless argumentation dooms real achievement, i.e., we
didn't achieve what we wanted to because we argued incessantly and
therefore what we wanted to achieve is not achievable. It will doom
ONTAC too unless ONTAC is supposed to be just a discussion list. In
which case we can argue endlessly and newer members will raise the same
old issues again and again, without real resolution. Because there are
always newer, mis-, dis-, or un-informed members who will often have
strong opinions inversely proportional to their knowledge.     (07)

I know I will seem to be an arrogant, elitist bastard who is trying to
squelch creativity, but I have seen too many lists fail. People who can
contribute the most drop off because of the high noise, and the list
flounders, reducing to argumentation among the latest members with too
much time and too little knowledge.    (08)

If ONTAC is just a discussion list and has no additional goals, then I
will gladly drop out. As will others. I don't think that is the case,
hence invited Pat's response.    (09)

By the way, profligate cross-posting to other distribution lists is
also typically not very productive.     (010)

Thanks,
Leo    (011)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305